function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SanalSanal 

Ideal method for fetching lookup fields

Hi,

I have a lookup field (custom) in my custom object that is to be displayed using an S-Control. Since, on querying, I'm getting only the "Id" of the lookup field, I'm doing a "retrieve" call for fetching the original values. Is this the ideal way to do this?

This is taking significant time, since I'm having more lookup fields in my object.

Thanks in advance,
Sanal
SteveBowerSteveBower

Conceptually, yes (for now).  With the V7 API you query, get the reference ID, then retrieve the values for that ID.  If you have multiple references you issue multiple Retrieve calls.
(Obviously you could batch them if your initial call returned multiple records.)
For the Winter 07 release you will be able to use Join-like syntax and obviate the second retrieve call.
Luck, Steve.

SanalSanal

Thank You Steve.

It seems like Winter 07 release has a lot of good things for developers like me.

- Sanal

DevAngelDevAngel
Good summary Steve.

Also you should be caching objects that are of the same type.  In other words, it's common to have lookup fields for the same type and may have the same record referenced.  Think of any object, you have ownerId, createdById and lastModifiedById, all of which are lookups to the user object.  If the id is the same for all three fields you don't need to execute three retrieve calls as the first will suffice.

Also, remember, you can't mix types in the retrieve call.  Each retrieve is for only a single type (although you can submit n Ids for that type).

Cheers

Message Edited by DevAngel on 11-28-2006 09:31 AM

Ron HessRon Hess
Yes, and if you are in the LA Area, come out to our Apex seminar next week ( Dec 7) and hear / see the latest.
SanalSanal

Dave
Thank You Dave. I can surely use this for a better design.

Ron
I would love to attend Ron, and thanks for your invitation. I cant make it to the Seminar from India :smileysad:

- Sanal

Message Edited by Sanal on 11-30-2006 03:32 AM