function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
colingcoling 

Ability to Notify (by Email) when a field/record is changed

Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to add the ability to send (email) notification when information is modified on a page? Either at the field or record level?

Ideally, this would be at the record level, so that, for example, the Save button is pressed, an email notification could be sent summarizing the changes. As a relative newbie to Salesforce, I don't know of any way to attach an action to the Send button. I also wonder if there is anything I could do related to the "History Tracking" option.

At the field level, I have looked at Formulas - it would be useful if I could, for example, use the HYPERLINK function on the LHS of an IF to 'call' a server-side script that sends an email. But this is not a total solution.

I am not completely familiar with sControls, but could I use one in any way to accomplish this objective?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Colin Goldberg
DevAngelDevAngel
There is workflow in salesforce.com that is particularly well suited to sending emails when a record changes. Please check out that the workflow that is built is insufficient before going down the formula field/scontrol path.
colingcoling
Thanks for your quick response. I'll take a look. I am specifically exploring this for Cases at this time.

CG
colingcoling
Generally speaking, Workflow Rules seem to be what I am looking for.

Am I mistaken when I note that, according to the options, I can set a rule to fire "when a new record is created, or when an existing record is edited", but that this causes the rule to fire when I click Edit, then click Save, even if I make no changes? If I am correct, I would like to find a way to make it fire ONLY if I make changes. I am trying to come up with some ideas for formula fields that would capture ("simulate") this capability. Has anyone else done this before?

CG
Again AgainAgain Again

Hi, I'm also looking for a way to do this. I want to email a specific user, for example, if the address/website for an Account is changed by a sales rep - but I don't see in the workflow rules a way to specify such a trigger. I can see if it changes from blank to non-blank, but not to just *something other than it was before*.

Is this at all possible, using the built in workflow engine?

I toyed with the idea of creating another, formula field that would be set to the original value, and then doing a comparison to see if the value upon saving is the same as the formula value, but I don't know if the formula would adjust immediately and render the test ineffective.

Thanks

Rozanne

Execute EZSAASExecute EZSAAS
Rozanne - you are correct, formula field will not be helpful here, since as soon you change the master field value and 'save', the formula gets recalculated and the old value gets overwritten by this new one.

However, I will be able to suggest another way to accomplish this - contact me at execute@ezsaas.com  for further discussion.