function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269 

Using Eclipse offline

Is there any way to use Eclipse in an offline mode? I would like to continue working on our scontrols occasionally when not connected and have the ability to save them, and then sync back with salesforce. My problem is sometimes my home network disconnects while I'm working, and then I can't save my changes. So I have to copy everything out to a text editor to save, fix the network, and then reconnect and paste everything back in. Working offline would be a huge benefit.

Mark
glen martinglen martin

I've heard a few requests that boil down to an offline mode for the Apex Toolkit, and providing some capability here is in the development roadmap for the toolkit.

One open question is whether there should be a deliberately offline mode (eg. a switch), or whether the toolkit should merely tolerate unanticipated disconnection.   The "always-on" connection between toolkit and server has a number of benfits and is most comparable to the declarative programming style supported in the Setup tab. But unlike declarative changes, editing an S-control or other code could result in breaking it for a substantial period of time, making saving to the server difficult. Or at least inadvisable.

My feeling is therefore that we should provide a deliberately offline capability, that permits working for extended periods of time without server sync.

Thanks for the request. Feel free to suggest other improvements that would make the Apex Toolkit more useful or friendly, either here or on the IdeaExchange.

glen