function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JohnKJohnK 

EmailToCase Ref: Tag Question

When EmailToCase processes an email, it appends the Ref: tag to the subject to keep track of the conversation.

According to the documentation, the ref tag can be read from either the subject or the body. How would I go about forcing the software to put it in and read it from the body, rather than the subject?

fifedogfifedog
John,
My guess is that you would have to modify the java Code. You'll need to find that function and then modify it to seach the body, however that's just a theory but since you have the sorce code have a java programmer take a look.
Mark_AbramowitzMark_Abramowitz
Can you provide additional details about the use case you are trying satisfy?

Do you want to remove the RefID from the Subject but keep it in the Body?
JohnKJohnK

That is correct. When we were running tests the user would see this subject:

Subject: Follow Up To Our Conversation [ ref:00D3CHg.xxxxxxxx:ref ]

We were hoping to remove the ref: tag from the subject.

Mark_AbramowitzMark_Abramowitz
You cant remove the RefID. The server side code handles this processing and controls the RefID.

This is not configurable.

Thanks for the feedback. I will take it under advisement.
JohnKJohnK

Just to clarify, I understand that the ref tag is required so the message is properly categorized. But the documentation states it's not required to be in the subject here:

"The new API call will either create a new case, or append the email to an existing case. based on the presence of a key in the subject, or in the body of the message."

So I'm not looking to eliminate the tag completely, rather just remove it from the subject and make sure it's embedded and read from the body. So you're saying that's not possible? Then what is the documentation talking about when it refers to the "presence of a key in the subject, or in the body of the message"?

Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Thanks.