function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Pat PattersonPat Patterson 

What JavaScript client-side frameworks would you like to see in future Mobile Packs?

We now have Mobile Packs for jQuery Mobile, Backbone.js and AngularJS, with (safe harbor!!!) Knockout.js in the pipeline. What other client-side framework(s) are you using? We've heard from fans of Ember.js and Sencha, but we need your help in prioritizing the next set of Mobile Packs.

Let us know here what you're looking for...

apurkiss2apurkiss2

When the time is rightwhich probably isn't now but hopefully will be soonI think a Derby.js pack would be great to seeOtherwiseI'm a fan of Knockout.js and look forward to that safe-harbor pack.

Interesting - I guess we'd actually need to build the adapter for Racer, Derby's sync engine. Would be pretty cool - abstract away the use of ForceTK/RemoteTK on the client, nForce on the server - have common code for business logic on either end.

"Derby and Racer are alpha software. While Derby should work well enough for prototyping and weekend projects, it is still undergoing major development. APIs are subject to change."

Yeah - maybe wait until Derby/Racer reaches beta before we expend serious effort here :-) Another similar project is Rendr, built on Backbone.js. I might take a closer look at that while Derby/Racer 'cooks'.

Adam DawAdam Daw

Would be neat to see a framework for batman.js! It was originally built for Rails but I would be interested in seeing it plugged into other backends :D

http://batmanjs.org/

Rahul SharmaRahul Sharma
This mobile stuff is very exciting. Thanks Pat!
snippets@sfsnippets@sf

How about Titanium Framework. being  one of the fastest growing client side framework. built on top of Backbone and underscore.js

i dont know if it supports already. but i feel its good to have

Thanks

Snippets

Gaurav KheterpalGaurav Kheterpal

+1 on Titanium. I can help contribute to it as I'm an Appcelerator Titan and well-verse with the framework.

Patt,

Unrelated to this, are there any plans to generalize the Mobile SDK hybrid templates to allow other HTML5 frameworks apart from jQuery Mobile? Devs can still plug-in other frameworks by manually removing jQM but it would always help if this flexibility is a part of the template.

Thoughts?

TempleHoffTempleHoff

I really like Jquery.  Unfortunately, it is completely incompatible with Flow and therefor as far as I am concerned incompatible with Force.com.  I've asked about this before and the only answer and it sounds like there is no intention to every make Flow Jquery compatible.  So, basically, until and unless I can find a client-side framework that does work with Flow, there's not much point in building anything for Mobile.  Unfortunately, SF seems to have abandoned Flow.  It hasn't gotten even a mention in the past two releases.

TempleHoffTempleHoff

Has anyone found a useful client-side framework for Tabs?  I first tried to use the Visualforce Tabpanel component, but it looks like garbage and sees very hard to build tabs to represent sections of fields rather than the entire detail screen.  Next, I tried JQuery UI, but I've ran into several issues, most around editing the set of fields on a given tab using a modal dialog and then refreshing the currently selected tab as well as getting the inline edit working correctly on each tab.

Gaurav/Snippets - Titanium is on the list - thanks for the feedback!

Gaurav - we'll push something to GitHub as soon as we have the basics working - would appreciate your input.

Currently, the Backbone.js template uses jQuery Mobile, but the AngularJS one uses Twitter Bootstrap. We have a volunteer to create a Backbone.js/Bootstrap template, too.

What are you using in preference to jQM?

Cheers,

Pat

TempleHoff - Flow is very much not abandoned. I'll ask the Flow folks to comment here on Flow, jQuery, and Mobile.

I haven't done anything with tabs - you might get more response if you ask this as a new topic.

Cheers,

Pat

DevDudeDevDude

I would certainly second a pack for Titanium. There is an old one on the Appcelerator Marketplace, but nothing much has happened since then. Titanium has a pretty decent following and a lot of apps, so a Mobile Pack would be really nice.

niki4810niki4810

Hi Pat,

Is there a Salesforce Mobile SDK + requireJs + Backbone boilerplate template ? 

Thanks,

Nikhil

There is a Salesforce Mobile SDK + Backbone mobile pack, but it doesn't use RequireJS.

niki4810niki4810

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the quick reply, I am aware of this example, I was just wondering if  there is a same version that uses requirejs. That way instead of having all the code in one single file, we could organize our code in a modular manner.

For a large scale app with many view's and templates, its easier to have them as saperate files and then manage the dependencies via require.

If we don't, do you have any recommendations/suggestions for managing script file dependencies instead of manually?

-

Nikhil

TempleHoffTempleHoff

From my perspective until you guys building the SFDC Mobile stuff get in a room with the guys building Visual Flow both products are basically worthless to me.  I've asked the Flow team why Visual Flow is not compatible with JQuery Mobile.  The response I got was that they don't intend Flow to be JQuery Mobile compatible.  90% of what I need Mobile for is to deliver simple Wizards to users, which Flow is ideal for building.  So my feedback is stop adding more client-side frameworks and finish making the first ones actually work with ALL your development tools.  If I can't make a Flow available on Mobile and have it look and work well then both Flows and Mobile are of no value to me.

Hi TempleHoff,

Valuable feedback - thanks. I've passed it on to both the Mobile Pack and Visual Workflow teams.

Cheers,

Pat

ShellyEShellyE

Thanks for the questions about mobile flows TempleHoff - we've got big plans for Flow in the works. We are building a REST API to allow developers to build a client for runtime and we are also building an updated Aura runtime client that will come out  of the box. The REST API let's you call the Flow from anywhere and do whatever styling you want - with whatever tools you want. The templates in the Aura runtime will make the UI responsive to whatever device it's being displayed on. Aura also has something called themes which will let developers overwrite our CSS and do things like create multiple columns, add tables, etc. that are not available in the current runtime. 

We're working on these efforts right now and are aiming to get them out in the next few releases. 

btw, I'm the Product Manager for process automation on the platform and clearly need to update my profile! 

Thanks,

Shelly 

Millar DakkimMillar Dakkim
Choosing the right product adoption process (https://blog.placeit.net/9-steps-to-improve-product-adoption/) might evoke hot debates within your custom business product. A safe and lazy solution is to start with a packaged development service where time and budget are fixed. Then I wanna recommend you to read the article and learn how to do it right.