+ Start a Discussion
timoctimoc 

DBAmp - Connection Issues

Hello,

I’ve been trying to get DBAmp (2.3) working under SQL Server Express 2005 with no luck. So I will give a pre-emptive apology if this question has been answered before, sorry.

I can connect using the Excel connector with out a problem, but when I try with the DBAmp Configuration tool, no luck (Test Connection). When trying to connect I receive the following error:

Connection to SalesForce using DBAmp failed. Source: (null) Description: Error 5000: Unknown Exception in SyncRun::Api Request.

And when attempting to connect and issue a query like: SELECT * FROM SALESFORCE…Contact I receive this error under SQL Server 2005 Express:

Msg 7302, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Cannot create an instance of OLE DB provider "DBAmp.DBAmp" for linked server "SALESFORCE".

If anyone can offer a little insight I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

- Tim

Currently running:
Sforce Office ToolKit : 3.00.0021
DBAmp 2.3
SQL Server Express 2005 w/ MS SQL Server Management Studio Express
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
qmanqman
Sorry for the time delay; I had to build a SQL 2005 Express w/Mngt Studio CTP Test instance.

Here's what I found: the Mngt Studio allows you to configure a new Linked Server but does not allow you to edit the Providers (it only allows you to list them). In the full version of SQL 2005, you can double click on a Provider to edit the settings.

So we will have to use the registry editor instead.

use regedit to add the following keys to this location in the registry : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/Providers/

1. First add the key DBAmp.DBAmp as a provider.
2. Then, under the DBAmp.DBAmp key, add the following DWORD values:
(Watch the spelling and case)

AllowInProcess REG_DWORD 0x00000001
DynamicParameters REG_DWORD 0x00000001
NonTransactedUpdates REG_DWORD 0x00000001

Exit the regedit pgm, restart the SQL Server and try a query again using the Mgnt. Studio.

If it still doesn't work or you have trouble with the regedit part, email me at bemerson@nospamforceamp.com (remove nospam).

All Answers

qmanqman
Hi Tim,

OK for starters, your Office Toolkit is the wrong version. DBAmp upgrades the Toolkit to V3.0.0.26 when it installs itself. Did you re-install the toolkit after your DBAmp installation ? That would cause the Toolkit to "go back" a version.

I would uninstall DBAmp, then reinstall DBAmp. Then check the properties of the SF_MSApi3.dll and make sure the version is V3.0.0.26.

Also, make sure you are using the default install location for DBAMP (Program Files\DBAmp).

Then, because you have the Management Studio, you can ignore the DBAmp doc concerning using the AddLinkedServer file and just add the DBAmp linked server using the Management Studio. Be sure to configure the Provider options as well.

Any questions, just post back to this thread.

Bill Emerson
timoctimoc
Bill, thank you for replying.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled both DBAmp as well as the office toolkit. Currently SF_MSApi3.dll is at 3.0.0.26.

As well the install directory is the default install location for both applications.

I believe it’s the provider options in SQL Server Express that I’m a little unclear about. Is this the standard connection string?

UID=’xxxxx’;PWD=’xxxxx’;Trusted_Connection=Yes;Provider=’not sure what to put here’;

And I’m sorry if I’ve turned this into a M$ SQL Express howto.
qmanqman
Sorry for the time delay; I had to build a SQL 2005 Express w/Mngt Studio CTP Test instance.

Here's what I found: the Mngt Studio allows you to configure a new Linked Server but does not allow you to edit the Providers (it only allows you to list them). In the full version of SQL 2005, you can double click on a Provider to edit the settings.

So we will have to use the registry editor instead.

use regedit to add the following keys to this location in the registry : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/Providers/

1. First add the key DBAmp.DBAmp as a provider.
2. Then, under the DBAmp.DBAmp key, add the following DWORD values:
(Watch the spelling and case)

AllowInProcess REG_DWORD 0x00000001
DynamicParameters REG_DWORD 0x00000001
NonTransactedUpdates REG_DWORD 0x00000001

Exit the regedit pgm, restart the SQL Server and try a query again using the Mgnt. Studio.

If it still doesn't work or you have trouble with the regedit part, email me at bemerson@nospamforceamp.com (remove nospam).
This was selected as the best answer