function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Michael SMichael S 

Partner object available for one user but not another

using the 2.5 API, when I use my adminstrator account, I see the Partner object using the describe api.  Using a standard account, I do not see the Partner Object.  When I try to query in the Partner table using the standard account, I get an error:

select Id, AccountFromId, AccountToId, Role, IsPrimary from Partner where AccountFromId='00130000000sWB5AAM'
msxml4.dll error 0x80004005:
Salesforce.com 2.5
INVALID_TYPE: sObject type 'Partner' is not supported.

Message Edited by Michael S on 04-22-2004 02:11 PM

adamgadamg
Likely a permissions issue with the standard (non-admin) user - can you confirm?
Michael SMichael S

It is probably a permissions issue because the admin user describes the Partner but the standard user does not.  What specific permission governs the permissions visiblity in the API because the standard user can see and modify partners in the UI.  It look likes the permissions are disabled throught the API but not the UI.

Michael

Michael SMichael S
It is a permissions issue with the API only.  The standard user can access the partners via the web but not the API.  Is this by design?
WPWP

I am having the same problem. The admin user can access Partner information both through the website and API, but a user with a different profile can only access it on the website. There is an error if an attempt is made to access it through the API

In the Partner section of the API documentation it states:

"You must have the "View All Data" permission to access Partners via the API.".

Which seems to be the cause of the problem. The "View All Data" permission allows users to view all data owned by other users, so its not really something that you want to give to all users as a workaround to accessing Partner information. I'm not sure what the thinking is behind this...

Dan Ly.ax242Dan Ly.ax242
Any update to this issue?
jtranjtran
I'm reviving this old thread because my applications needs to access the partner object using the user credentials. The bug with the API call is that it only allows admin user to access the Partner object.
How do I get around this please? Thanks,

James

ArtabusArtabus
I am facing exactly the same issue. Any idea ???
ArtabusArtabus
The solution can be found here

http://community.salesforce.com/sforce/board/message?board.id=general_development&message.id=20265#M20265