function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ajay_cambajay_camb 

What are the limitations one faces while developing apps for appexchange

Hi,
    I am new to salesforce.com and want to know more about the limitations one faces while developing an application on AppExchange . Since since salesforce hosts the applications built for AppExchange, i guess there must be some space constraints or other constraints. I just want to know what are the space, application size , or any other limitations one faces while developing an application for AppExchang.
shillyershillyer
I would say the only limits are those in the editions you plan to install into. For instance, if you plan to install into Professional Edition orgs, you can't use features like Workflow or Record Types. You can get a full list of what each edition supports here. I recommend reviewing this before you build, so you plan your app accordingly.

In terms of space, all customer orgs can add more storage, so I don't really see this being a huge obstacle. If you plan to use Apex Code, there are some governor limits you should be aware of. These are the same across all editions.

Hope that helps,
Sati
ajay_cambajay_camb
thanks a lot.
sfdevnicksfdevnick
If I write an application with a custom lookup field that references standard Product ID, and this app is installed by Group or Pro edition that doesn't have Product object enabled, will it work OK? i.e. Will the app install ok, but simply have no lookup lens by the fields, or return an error when you click on the lens? And then if the customer upgrades to Enterprise, will the lookup lens start functioning?
aalbertaalbert
If your package requires a feature, such as having Products, the package will not be installed into any org without the dependent features enabled. The dependencies are shown to you when uploading your appexchange package (Setup->Create->Packages->select your package->Upload).

So in your scenario, if the installing-org does not have Products enabled, then the package is not installable.

sfdevnicksfdevnick
Thanks aalbert :smileyhappy: