function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
phanthongphanthong 

Problems with the Data Loader

Hi,

I am having a little problem when trying to upsert data to my object. I defined an external ID field in my object, so it can be the mathching field to prevent duplications. The field type is "Auto Number", and when I upsert the data from my .csv file, Data Loader does not recognize my external ID. It said I don't have the external ID defined in my object. But if I change the field type to "Number" of "Text", Data Loader can recognize it.

So is this true that Data Loader does not like "Auto Number" as an external ID field. Is there anyway to go around it.

Thakns

gotherthanthougotherthanthou

I don't think it has anything to do with the field being an external ID. 

If you have a field defined as an autonumber, Force is going to assign the value of the field.  It's read-only to you, which is why it doesn't show up when you hit the 'New' button.

If you want to import the field, change it to Text (30).  If, after the import, you want Force to automatically assign values to it, you can change it back to Autonumber.  I don't know what your situation is, but this wouldn't make sense to me since it's supposed to be an "external" id.

kickingboykickingboy
I also have this problem. I have a custom object with a look up relationship to Account. When I use the data loader to load the custom records I want  to use an autonumber field on the account object to match. If I cant match on the autonumber field I will have to create a number or text field on the Account object and update it via a workflow. And populate the field on the existing records using the data loader. What a pain!