function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JRussJRuss 

Capture Monthly Sales

I'm seeking advice on how to best capture monthly sales in Salesforce by a sales team that each have multiple accounts.  We are only looking for monthly total revenue by representative at this point.  

Currently, I have to create a new monthly  Opportunity each month (closed won) for each Account to capture monthly sales and then create dashboards and sales data tracking within Salesforce.  I'm sure there is a better way that doesn't necessitate creating monthly Opportunities per Account.  Clearly that messes up staging and pipeline.

Of course I can do this simply in Excel, but it would be great to utilize the power of Salesforce and share this data across the sales teams using Salesforce.

We're using the Professional edition.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

JonTreskoJonTresko

What most companies would do is create additional objects to track your Sales Orders, Invoices, etc...

So, let's discuss Invoices for example.

Let's say you have an Account, which has one Closed/Won Opportunity that resulted in recurring revenue.

You would have an Invoice object as a child to the Opportunity and Account. If you're looking to summarize the numbers on the Account, I'd say your best bet is to create a Mster-Detail relationship rom the Invoice to the Account. Then, you can do roll-up summary fields on the account, summarizing any numbers or currency on the Invoices.

For each bill/invoice, a new invoice record would be created. This is commonly used by an accounting department to help reconcile their receivables, and track what's due, what's been paid, etc...

You can then also display these values on the Opportunity with Formula fields.

So, you're still creating new records each month to house the data in, but it's in a more appropriate object, and not opportunity, as tyhat's not necesarily what it's meant for.

So the same applies to Sales Orders, or whatever is relevant to your company.