function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Cheri SugalCheri Sugal 

Using Excel Connector to create accounts where none exist

Does anyone know how I do this? I have tried exporting my contacts into excel and then filling in the missing cells, then hitting "update selected cells". I get an error message. I have also tried using the wizard but I don't know how to set the criteria so that  "Account" "Equals" "BlANK". No data comes up when I do this.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Cheri Sugal
Executive Director
Friends of Calakmul
TonkaCruiserTonkaCruiser
To create an Account with the Excel Connector you need to put the value "New" in for the Account ID.  Then select those fields and update using the menu.

I don't understand the second portion of your question.  If this doesn't answer your question then please give me some more information and I'll try and answer.

Chris
Cheri SugalCheri Sugal
Hi and thanks for your help. I am running the excel connector query wizard and putting "when account ID = new" and nothing comes up in the query. I have several records where there are individuals for whom there was no account entered (so the account cell is blank) and I want to replace the empty account cells with "individual". I might just be missing something obvious but I would appreciate any additional help you can provide.
Cheri 

Harry JamesHarry James

You need to create the Account first.  You can do that in the EXCEL connector by doing a query, selecting the Account table and then the Account fields that you want to add to that acccount.  When you get to Step 3 of the Wizard - where you normally enter the query criteria - just click "Close."  Fill in the cells for whatever information you want in the Account fields.  Then do as TonkaCruiser mentioned:  type "new" in Column A of the row that you just completed and then choose "Insert Selected Rows" from the menu.  The Account ID will be returned in Column A.

You can then paste that Account ID into the Account ID cells of your Contacts.  Select all those Account ID cells and then choose "Update Selected Cells" from the menu.