function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
gtsnowdgtsnowd 

Using Excel Connector the first time.

When I click on any item under the sforce Connector toolbar, I get an error message that says "The file cannot be accessed".  Any ideas?
bkastenbkasten
I am having the same issue, not matter what I click on under the sforce Connector list I get "The file could not be accessed. Try one of the following:"   none of the listed responses apply.  Any suggestions?
gtsnowdgtsnowd

Yes, I have solved this.  If you have down loaded the .xla file, then it needs to be put into your excel add-in folder.  Follow the the installation instructions found here http://sforce.sourceforge.net/excel/.  Also, do not double click on the .xla file.

LettyLetty
I loved using Excel Connector with Excel 2003 but am having trouble using it with Excel 2007.  I have not tried using this add-in in several months and wonder what I need to do.  I saved the SForce_Office_Toolkit_MSI.zip to my desktop, then went to Excel and clicked on the Microsoft button to get to Excel options.  Then I clicked on Add-ins to browse for the Add-in but get an error that this is not recognized format (it is looking for .xlam, .xla, and .xll extensions) but his file has .msi extension. 

Can anyone confirm whether this tool works with Excel 2007?

thanks - Letty
AndrewRAndrewR

Yes, it works with Excel 2007.

There are two parts to the installation. You've done the first part which is to download the Office Toolkit. You can unzip the toolkit.msi and install it by double-clicking on it.

When that's installed, you need to download a zip file containing the XLA, which you will find here:

http://sforce.sourceforge.net/excel/downloads.htm

Put the XLA into a folder (I use the Default Excel 2007 Add-Ins folder which is something like C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns). Then do what you did before and browse for the Add-In.

A. 

LettyLetty
I wanted to comment that the Salesforce Data Loader works in much the same way as Excel Connector and is supported by Salesforce (whereas Excel Connector is not). 

I had previously been with misunderstanding that the Data Loader was to be used only for a high volume of updates, but have since found that it can be used with a small number of records.  All you do is create a report and save to CSV.  Open the CSV file, update the information then resave.  Then open Data Loader, browse for the CSV file then push the updated info back into Salesforce.  I found it very simple and straightforward.