function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BKerrBKerr 

How to update contact owner with Excel Connector

I have generated a report that has about 29,000 contacts that are owned by previous employees who are no longer active users. Because the contact owner is not active we can't make changes to the account name field in Salesforce. I can export this report as a .csv. How then do I use the excel connector to update the contact owners name and re-import into Salesforce?
CRMGeneralistCRMGeneralist
You may want to use the dataloader if you already have a .csv file created you can do this by updating the file with the Correct Owners, however I think you only have the Contact ID so you can not just type in the person's name you must get the ID from Salesforce then replace the old Contact Id with the new Contact ID. The data loader from there is pretty straight forward, you would use the Update button.

You can download data loader under Set-Up/Data Management/Data Loader

The Excel Connector is a query based system where you query the data then update the data you just queried. I do not believe you can query Contacts owned by Inactive Users.

So in short I would use the data loader.
BKerrBKerr
That is what I thought. Our company only subscribes to the Professional edition so the dataloader is not available for us and the license fees are double what we are paying now so I don't see us moving up to Enterprise just for the dataloader. Back to the drawing board!
CRMGeneralistCRMGeneralist

Well you could get creative then.... You could do the following;

1. Query All your Contacts or Accounts using Excel Connector

2. Take your CSV File and Save it as Excel then you could do a V-Look-Up to your Excel Connector file and then only update the Contacts that match your .csv file

Maybe a lot of work depending on your data quality. Just a thought.

Jason JohansenJason Johansen
As CRMGeneralist says, this VLOOKUP works.  I am working on this right now and have a sample if it is needed.  I can attach an Excel doc (if the forums allow that) with samples if you'd like.