function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Quantum7Quantum7 

Business Cards - Getting into SalesForce

I use a Mac (iBook) using OX 10.4.8 My partners use PC's.
We have thousands of business cards which need to be scanned using IrisCard. It seems to me that IrisCard (IrisScan) is a bit limited in the types of file formats I can create. SF likewise is limited, accepting only .csv files. I do not use Outlook and since it appears SF does not work in a simple way with Entourage, it seems my only choice is to get the scanned data into an Excel file and map all fields to match SF. Which to my untutored mind is a whole lot of work and not a lot of fun.

Does anyone have experience with Mac's, SF, and importing business cards? And have you found a simpler or more direct way to get this info into SF? And will you tell me how?!?
Dave NizenDave Nizen

It's maybe not the most elegant solution, but it works and gives me a graphic of each business card.

Create an auto-numbering field for each contact record.  I called mine cust_id.  Place the cust_id field in your contact layout so you can easily view it.

Scan your business cards and name the gif files <cust_id>_card.gif and save them to an Internet-accessible directory with no links to it (for privacy).  I scan right to my web server, so this is fairly painless.

Create a custom field of the type Formula(Text) and call it business_card

In the formula for the field, use the following formula:

IMAGE("http://www.URL/directory/"&cust_id__c & "_card.gif", "card")

Place your business_card field on your layout somewhere and when you view your accounts, you'll see a beautiful scan of each contact's card.

I've created a sister field for Photo and place my customer photos up there as well so I've got a face to go with the name, so to speak.  I've also found that cards work best when no more than 200 pixels tall (width is no big deal).

Cheers.

Quantum7Quantum7
Dave, thanks for the tip!
TimesyncTimesync
Cardscan has a tight integration with SF.  You buy the SF edition and then scan directly into contacts or leads////  Flawless

David

PeterChemisov_PeterChemisov_

Cardscan does not sell Salesforce supported products anymore. They will support their existing sales until th eend of the year.

Peter Chemisov