function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Paul OveryPaul Overy 

Unable to send request to server. The system cannot find the file specified.

I've found several instances of people having similar problems to the one that two of my users are having, but I haven't seen any solutions to these problems, yet.

My users are able to click the log-in to Salesforce and enter a username & password, but they get the error dialog:  "Unable to send request to server. The system cannot find the file specified."

They are using the security token.  As a matter of fact, the same happens no matter what you type in the username/password fields, so I don't think any connection is actually being made to saleforce to do validation.

I've totally uninstalled the add-in and reinstalled it again, but it made no difference.

Searching the Salesforce help, all I could find was reference to proxy settings in IE, which seemed odd to me, but I tried it anyhow... no help there, either.

Has anyone actually ever resolved this?

Any suggestions on where I should look?

I tried to edit the add-in code to see what was happening there, but it is password protected.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Paul OveryPaul Overy

e"inProblem solved. In IE, the user had "Work Offline" selected.  (See Tools drop-down menu - Not the one at the top of the screen, but the just above the upper right corner of the web view window)

Unchecking "Work Offline"  fixed the problem.

All Answers

forcedotcomforcedotcom

Hi Paul,

You mention "I've totally uninstalled the add-in and reinstalled it again, but it made no difference." - what are your users having problems logging in through? Is this a problem with the data loader, outlook plugin etc...?

Are your users able to login normally through https://login.salesforce.com? Do you have Single Sign On enabled?

Regards,

forcedotcom

Paul OveryPaul Overy

I'm sorry for not being clear.  This issue is with the "Connect for Office" that can be downloaded via Setup->My Personal Information->Desktop Integration

In Excel, this tool puts a Salesforce.com menu option at the top of the screen.  When you click on it you get a Salesforce Icon.  When you click on that, the top option is "Log In to Salesforce"

Until about 2 weeks ago we didn't have any problems using this, but two of my users have been complaining that it suddenly stopped allowing them to log in.  I've worked with one of them and the error comes up no matter what is typed into the username/password box.   The error message is: "Unable to send request to server. The system cannot find the file specified."

I've assured that the security token is being appended after the password.

We've uninstalled and reinstalled the add-in.

Thanks for any help.

-Paul

forcedotcomforcedotcom

Hi Paul,

I must admit this does sound very much like a proxy issue. Is there an external internet connection you could try (i.e. at home?!) this out at?

Also don't forget that your security token is automatically reset if you change your password - it doesn't sound like this is the problem but its probably worth checking.

Regards,

forcedotcom

Paul OveryPaul Overy

e"inProblem solved. In IE, the user had "Work Offline" selected.  (See Tools drop-down menu - Not the one at the top of the screen, but the just above the upper right corner of the web view window)

Unchecking "Work Offline"  fixed the problem.

This was selected as the best answer
Good1SPSGood1SPS

I've tried all of the above recommendations and I'm still receiving the error.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Connect for Outlook Version: 3.3.102 & Connect for Office Version: 1.8.0.7in conjuncture with SF Connector install version 6.16.

I've doubled checked the work offline option is not check in IE.

I have other colleagues utilizing the connector from the same location with the same XP/MS Office builds.

Does anyone know of any other options to resolve this error?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Error Genterated by Request::Unable to send request to server.  A connection with the server could not be established  ExceptionCode : 5103"

Thanks!

Good1SPSGood1SPS
I was able to resolve the issue by installing version 5.61 of the excel connector.
Paul OveryPaul Overy

So you had to use an older version of the connector?

Interesting.

Message Edited by Paul Overy on 08-25-2009 08:59 AM
Good1SPSGood1SPS

Correct.

I was surprised as well.