function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Carolyn228Carolyn228 

Uploading Opportunities Using Excel Connector

I have a table of Opportunities (records of client calls) that I would like to upload into our SF database. I have downloaded our contacts/accounts into a csv file to get the Account ID, which I understand is how I link the calls to the accounts. How to I populate my Opportunities worksheet with the Account ID column so the data will match up when I upload back into SalesForce. I'm not as technical as I like to think I am, so please dumb it down! Thanks.

jroyaltyjroyalty

My apologies if this isn't what you're looking for, but I believe it should do what you want:

First step you'll want to take is to prepare the sheet to upload the Opportunities. I recommend using the Sforce Table Query Wizard option to select Opportunities then the columns that you'll be filling in. Then paste in the fields you have so they line up with each column. For the AccountId you'll fill in the number you downloaded from Salesforce.

The last step is to fill in the Id column with New (Just that word). After that, highlight all the data you've just prepared (All rows/columns below the headers) and select Insert Selected Rows from the connector menu.

If there's a problem, the cells will be highlighted yellow and usually have a comment added explaining the error. If not, the New will be replaced with the opportunities' newly assigned Id.

I recommend trying with one new opportunity initially and then verifying the data you wanted all went properly into the system before doing the whole upload.  Hope this helps!

Carolyn228Carolyn228

Thanks for your help. I was not able to make any of that work though. I can't figure out how to make the Wizard work. And, I can't wrap my brain around how to match the account ID numbers from the contacts Excel spreadsheet to the Opportunities Excel spreadsheet so that each opportunity is matched with the correct contact.

Are there any consultants out there that I can hire to accomplish this task for me?

jroyaltyjroyalty

I'm sure there is someone that could be hired to do this, but I don't know any contact details.  Googling for "Salesforce consultant" might give you a place to start.

That being said, I believe that the biggest obstacle to simply doing it is going to be lining up the Account IDs (Opportunities attach to accounts, not contacts) with the opportunities list you have.  If you have any column that is shared between the two sheets that has unique values, matching them up should be fairly easy by using a vlookup.  I may be able to assist with that if you have any kind of data shared between the sheets.

If you don't have any shared data between the sheets, you have to find or make one otherwise I can think of no practical way to do this.  If you can get that information added, getting the excel connector working shouldn't be too difficult.

SFAdmin123SFAdmin123

In Sheet 1 i have Account Id and Account Name and in Sheet 2 I have only Account Name i wanted to populate the Account Id for those accounts in Sheet i tried VLOOKUP i am not successfull, can u tell what is the right VLOOK up formula or is there any other way for that.

Please let me know.

Thanks

jroyaltyjroyalty

The first thing you'll need to do is swap the two columns in sheet 1 so that Column A is Account name and Column B is Account Id. Assuming Column A on Sheet 2 is Account Name, the following vlookup should do it:

=vlookup(Sheet2!A1, Sheet1!A:B, 2, false)

Of particular note for how this works is the A:B on Sheet1, because that means it includes Column B when it does the lookup -- which is the Id you're looking for. Then you tell it to return that value with the 2. false does an exact search, which is likely what you want. If you do want to use excel's rather imprecise nearest match, set that to true and be sure that sheet 1 is in alphabetical order by account name.