function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
rtenazasrtenazas 

Excel Connector Not Working for Developer Edition

I have a Sales Cloud Enterprise Edition account as well as a Force.com Developer Edition account.  i noticed that my Developer Edition has a sample set of Sales Cloud records (Accounts, Opportunities, etc.).  I can see lists of all these records when I go to the tabs.  However, when I use Excel Connector to download the sample records, I get no records back for any object (the fields and objects are recognized, but 0 records are returned).  I know the Excel Connector installation works, because if I use it to download records from my Sales Cloud Enterprise Edition account, I get all the records.that I see in lists.

What should I do to access the records in the Developer Edition account?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sfdcfoxsfdcfox

You might be running into Excel Connector's automatic filter logic. When you run a query without filters, it adds "SystemModStamp > (LAST 7 DAYS)" by default; you'll see it appear in cells B1, C1, and D1 (given that your entity name is in A1). This might be why you're not seeing any records. If you want to find all records, set some sort of filter, even if it appears to make no sense. For example, I often use "Name != (blank)", which generally returns all records in that entity.

All Answers

rtenazasrtenazas

I was able to pinpoint the issue: the pre-populated test data that appears in a new DeveloperForce.com's Account, Opportunity, and other Sales Cloud Objects appear to have no owners until you edit them.  

For example, you can see a list of test accounts if you go to the Accounts page and list "All Accounts".  The list will say that the system administrator (you) owns all the accounts.  However, if you try to create a new opportunity and click on the lookup button to bring up a list of accounts, it will show that there are no available records in the accounts table that you can use.  If you then go back to the list of Accounts and edit one of the Account records, you will be allowed to make the changes.  Then, if you try to add a new opportunity, the account you changed will be shown as the only account available to you.

This seems to indicate that the test Sales Cloud database is "defective" or has dangling references.  The records in the tables will be listed as if they belong to the system administrator, but permission to use the record from related pages is not established.  You have to go to each record and do something (e.g.., edit them) in order to be able to have full access to the records.

Does anyone have insights into this?

SuperfellSuperfell

I think you're miss understanding how the lookup widget works, its a search not browse. The records shown in there by default (before you do a search) are from your most recently used list, which is why records start to appear after you've edit them.

Backing up to your original problem, can you explain exactly how its not working?

rtenazasrtenazas

Hello SimonF

Thanks for that first response.  It was very helpful.  Maybe my original problem report is related to it.

I have the Excel Connector, and I used its Table Query Wizard option w/o any filters, so I thought it would download the contents of entire tables (specifically, opportunities and accounts).   When I use it with my Enterprise Edition account, I get all the rows I can see from the Opportunities tab, the Accounts tab, and all other tabs of the Sales Cloud.  This includes records that I did not create (apparently, Sales Cloud newbies get a set of test records for each of the tables).

However, when I use the Excel Connector with my Developer Edition, it only downloads records from Opportunities or Accounts that are in my "recently viewed" list (as you pointed out, that is similar to the behavior of lookups).  It does not download any data from any other test records in my Developer org.

Since I used exactly the same Excel spreadsheet with exactly the same Excel Connector add-in, why do I get different resutls in the Developer Edition, compared to the Enterprise Edition.  Is there some Setup setting that I have to change?

Thanks again for the earlier explanation, and I look forward to your clarification on this one. 

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

You might be running into Excel Connector's automatic filter logic. When you run a query without filters, it adds "SystemModStamp > (LAST 7 DAYS)" by default; you'll see it appear in cells B1, C1, and D1 (given that your entity name is in A1). This might be why you're not seeing any records. If you want to find all records, set some sort of filter, even if it appears to make no sense. For example, I often use "Name != (blank)", which generally returns all records in that entity.

This was selected as the best answer
rtenazasrtenazas

Hi sfdcfox,

That trick of entering a filter that all records will pass worked!  I had already tried the technique of clearing out the default filter that limits results to records less than 1 week old, but I still got nothing.  However, when I tried the "Name not equal (blank)" condition, all the records were displayed.

Thanks very much for your help!