function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
arvorisarvoris 

Password behavior

I use the Excel Connector daily for the same spreadsheet.  Each day when I select "Query Table Data" I get a different reaction.  Sometimes it goes straight through and works perfectly.  Other days I get an error and have to again select "Query Table Data" and enter my password.  How can I get it to react the same way every time it runs.  It doesn't really matter to me but my boss does it on my day off and I'd rather it not give him problems.

Thanks for your help.

AV

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
fryguyfryguy

One more thing affects this (I just found out the other day). I noticed that if SF is open and my session times out, it resets access to the Connector as well. This may be the issue. I'm not sure if there is a workaround. One can lengthen the session timeout, but I don't think you can disable timeouts completely.

I'm past my depth on this one, sorry. Maybe you can set up a macro to re-run the query within the timeout window?

All Answers

fryguyfryguy

When you start Windows and Excel the first time and run the Connector, it will ask for the password. Windows retains the password in volatile memory, so the next time you start Excel and run the query, the Connector does not aks for the password. If you restart Windows, you will need to enter the password the next time you run the query.

Try it out and see if this is what you are experiencing.

arvorisarvoris

No, I'm afraid that isn't the issue.  I don't even shut down Excel overnight much less the computer.  That's why it's such odd behaviour.

fryguyfryguy

One more thing affects this (I just found out the other day). I noticed that if SF is open and my session times out, it resets access to the Connector as well. This may be the issue. I'm not sure if there is a workaround. One can lengthen the session timeout, but I don't think you can disable timeouts completely.

I'm past my depth on this one, sorry. Maybe you can set up a macro to re-run the query within the timeout window?

This was selected as the best answer
arvorisarvoris

I don't believe that's the issue as we have timeout set at 8 hours and I always shutdown IE.  Just thought of something while typing this however...I don't actually log-out of Salesforce...just close down.  So this might be an issue.  Tonight I will make sure to logout and see what happens.  Thanks for the response.

arvorisarvoris

I believe you have found the cause of this behavior!  Excellent.  Thank you so much.

Angela