function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SanDiegoCRMSanDiegoCRM 

Long Text returns max of 1023 chars?

I created a Long Text field (32,000 chars) in the Leads section, inserted data into that field successfully via the Excel Connector (some had 5,000 chars!). I can see all the data in SFDC.

However, when I use the Excel Connector to return the Long Text data, it maxes-out at 1023 characters.  Is this a bug?  Has anyone found a work-around to get the Excel connector to return > 1023 chars from a Long Text field?

Thanks!!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
pburkartpburkart

The Connector has a hard-coded limit of 1023 characters.

I created a workaround to fix this issue for me, but I'm not sure if there is a "fix" from the sforce connector creator(s).

Workaround:

1. Open Excel

2. Press Alt-F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic Editor

3. In the Projects window, drill down to: sforce_connector (sforce_connect.xla) --> Modules --> utils

4. Double-click the utils to open it

5. Press Ctrl-F to open the Find window

6. Type: .Cells(row, j).value = Left(so.Item(name).value, 1023)

7. Click Find

8. Close the Find window

9. Modify the 1023 character limit value to the desired value (I'm unsure if there is a limit to how big you can go, but, I made it 10230 and it seemed to work ok)

10. Click File-->"Save sforce_connect.xla"

Note: This change will need to be done on all PC's running the sheet your using to pull data from.

I was only able to test this out on Excel 2007, but it "may" work for Excel 2003 as well.

This is probably too late for the original poster, but, when I checked out this posting there were just over 10,000 views of this post, so I'm guessing that others are running into a similar issue. Since I couldn't find an answer online, I ended up debugging the connector code and worked out the workaround above.

Hope this helps someone else too. :)

Message Edited by pburkart on 03-24-2010 11:42 AM

All Answers

pburkartpburkart

The Connector has a hard-coded limit of 1023 characters.

I created a workaround to fix this issue for me, but I'm not sure if there is a "fix" from the sforce connector creator(s).

Workaround:

1. Open Excel

2. Press Alt-F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic Editor

3. In the Projects window, drill down to: sforce_connector (sforce_connect.xla) --> Modules --> utils

4. Double-click the utils to open it

5. Press Ctrl-F to open the Find window

6. Type: .Cells(row, j).value = Left(so.Item(name).value, 1023)

7. Click Find

8. Close the Find window

9. Modify the 1023 character limit value to the desired value (I'm unsure if there is a limit to how big you can go, but, I made it 10230 and it seemed to work ok)

10. Click File-->"Save sforce_connect.xla"

Note: This change will need to be done on all PC's running the sheet your using to pull data from.

I was only able to test this out on Excel 2007, but it "may" work for Excel 2003 as well.

This is probably too late for the original poster, but, when I checked out this posting there were just over 10,000 views of this post, so I'm guessing that others are running into a similar issue. Since I couldn't find an answer online, I ended up debugging the connector code and worked out the workaround above.

Hope this helps someone else too. :)

Message Edited by pburkart on 03-24-2010 11:42 AM
This was selected as the best answer
ClaireHClaireH

Hi there,

I think I have a similar sort of problem, although the fix about doesn't seem to fix my issue. I've created a custom object of which one of the fields is 'Product'. I'm uploading valid Product names in this column (i.e. the correct names of Products that I know are active), but get the error message 'Value too large max length: 18 Your length: 33'. I worked out that it was the Product field that is causing this error by counting the characters!

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this / get round it? I've tried uploading the Product IDs instead of the Product Name but this doesn't seem to work :-(

Thanks,

Claire