function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KrisMoyseKrisMoyse 

Ownership of code, does it become Open Source?

Just wondering if the code is just used for judging or if it then becomes Open Source?

grigri9grigri9

Hey Kris,

Looking forward to your presentation at the DUG.

From the official rules:

Are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test, and otherwise analyze your Entry and all its content in connection with this Hackathon; and (ii) feature your Entry and all its content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Hackathon and of Salesforce.com (including but not limited to internal and external presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Hackathon Entry process in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed);

IANAL but my understanding of that is that salesforce can use the app for whatever marketing purposes they want but it still belongs to you to open source or not as you see fit. Would be good to get some official comment.

@altius_rup@altius_rup
Wher d'dya find the Official Rules ?
Rup
KrisMoyseKrisMoyse

That is still not clear to me if the actual source code will/can be used.  Happy for them to use it for Marketing when ever they want but some code secrets might be different.

DevAngelDevAngel

We don't want to own your code. We want your entry and we want it in relation to the Hackathon. As far as open source, that is a personal decision. I think if you win, you will want to turn that 1mm into more by commercializing your app, but that's just me.

KrisMoyseKrisMoyse

Perfect, thanks :)

@altius_rup@altius_rup
Thanks Kris !
DevAngelDevAngel
The key here is it is your Entry for the hack. There is nothing nefarious or sneaky going on here. I don't see what use we would have of your code, other than verification of the adherence to the rules.
KrisMoyseKrisMoyse

The only reason I ask was because there was a mobile solution competition announced by Salesforce earlier with a T&C that all source to be open source on GitHub.

DevAngelDevAngel
Does not apply for this one. You can burn your source afterwards, turn it into the next salesforce.com, or open source it if you want.