function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
rsweetlandrsweetland 

'developed solely as part of this Hackathon'?

We are considering entering the hackathon, but the below criteria provides for some interesting grey areas: 

The application you or your team submits must...
...have been developed solely as part of this Hackathon 

For example:

• Can we re-use code we have written for another related product?
  • I know we can use open-source libraries and APIs, but what about an API to our own pre-existing product?
  • What if we were want to modify an existing project to be an entrant into this Salesforce contest?
  • Lastly, what if someone had the idea or started tinkering with it a year ago, but now wants to finish it in the hackathon?

Sorry for the baragge of questions...the word "solely" is just so absolute. Most people who are entering this have probably done some work on their idea apart fro this hackathon.  My question is how much "prior work" or "non-hackathon" work is acceptable?

ps – This is a continuation of a comment thread here – I thought it warranted its own thread after considering it further.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
thisisnotaprilthisisnotapril

The intent of that provision is that submissions would not be apps that have been previously released or in development. Reusing code you may have written before is fine, provided that you were the author of that code, it doesn't comprise the majority of your app and its use does not violate any third party's rights. You could modify an existing product to integrate with Salesforce and submit that, however you'd be judged on just that component, not the pre-existing product. 

The spirit of the hackathon is about new, amazing mobile apps that use the Salesforce platform, and they will be judged accordingly.

All Answers

DevAngelDevAngel
Waiting for word from legal. Stand by.
rsweetlandrsweetland
Hi there, Just checking in since the date is approaching.

One thought: Since this is such a grey area, should I email you specifics and let you / legal decide on a case-by-case basis?
Travis-TTravis-T

I would also to like to hear what the decision was.  The official rules are rather vague in detail.

I guess we should submit and see what happens???

thisisnotaprilthisisnotapril

The intent of that provision is that submissions would not be apps that have been previously released or in development. Reusing code you may have written before is fine, provided that you were the author of that code, it doesn't comprise the majority of your app and its use does not violate any third party's rights. You could modify an existing product to integrate with Salesforce and submit that, however you'd be judged on just that component, not the pre-existing product. 

The spirit of the hackathon is about new, amazing mobile apps that use the Salesforce platform, and they will be judged accordingly.

This was selected as the best answer
rsweetlandrsweetland
Thank you! Makes sense.
zshahzshah

Well, Upshot totally didn't follow the rules (http://boards.developerforce.com/t5/Salesforce-1-Million-Hackathon/quot-Upshot-quot-didn-t-follow-the-rules/td-p/706111) and still won.

So the lesson here is: don't follow the rules, submit whatever you want, and once you've won, it'll be too much of a PR disaster to get disqualified. Good luck!