function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
juan.abreu1.3880988839447522E12juan.abreu1.3880988839447522E12 

Case management, webservice call to outside system, plus additional help.

Hello guys i hope someone can clear some of my questions. I'm experimenting with salesforce for CRM. Basically  we want to allow specific departments in our institution to use the case application I have gone through the case management implementation manual and i think i can achieve what i want as long as i create different security profiles for the so that each department can each have thier own crm fields, and not actually see other departments cases. Now here are my  questions

1 - Should i use the prebuild case application? is my understanding correct? I have figuered out at the time of input how to show specific fields to a user with a given profile, However i have not figuered out how to prevent certain users from seeing other depts/users cases? how do i do that?

2- I would like to auto-populate certain fields on textinput tab event. Now i know how to handle this with javascript/ jquery but how do i go about doing this in salesforce?  i would like to make a webservice call to a service that i have created in my organization that would pass the users contact name  first and last name. How do i go about doing that? any suggestions?

3- If i use the visual force page, I'm i basically creating an application from scratch? in other words i have been reading that if i want to get step 2 above done i would need to create a custom button. However i need to use a visual force page? can someone with a little more knowledge clear this up for me. 

Thanks in advance for any answers you guys can provide i would truly appreciated.
Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC
To answer your questions:

1 - Should i use the prebuild case application? is my understanding correct? I have figuered out at the time of input how to show specific fields to a user with a given profile, However i have not figuered out how to prevent certain users from seeing other depts/users cases? how do i do that?
<ANS>
You can use the pre built case manaagement tool and implement separate page layouts for different users through which you can show ONLY those fields that are relevant to the user.
http://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=customize_layoutoverview.htm&language=en_US
if you wish to completely block fields from user access : you can hide them using field level security.

2- I would like to auto-populate certain fields on textinput tab event. Now i know how to handle this with javascript/ jquery but how do i go about doing this in salesforce?  i would like to make a webservice call to a service that i have created in my organization that would pass the users contact name  first and last name. How do i go about doing that? any suggestions?
<ANS>
At the time of Creation of the case - the user sees the contact field as a lookup so as to choose any contact on whose name the case needs to be raised.
(if your contact database is outside Salesforce - you wll have to customize the page through VF to be able to make a webservice call out to get the Contact record)

When a case comes in through email(if you have seen the email to case feature) the contact gets auto populated so no manual work is required by the user.

3- If i use the visual force page, I'm i basically creating an application from scratch? in other words i have been reading that if i want to get step 2 above done i would need to create a custom button. However i need to use a visual force page? can someone with a little more knowledge clear this up for me.
<ANS>
you will have to create the UI from Scratch but you can reuse the basic functionality - fields, related lists, validation rules etc  
Read more: http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Creating_Custom_Actions_Using_Visualforce

Hope this helps!