function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DevNVDevNV 

I just updated an apex class in Production through Eclipse

I thought this was not allowed - this morning I forgot I was looking at Production code in Eclipse, made some changes and saved.  It took!  Is this a change to Salesforce's policy on editing code in Production?  Anyone else notice this?
sandeep@Salesforcesandeep@Salesforce
Please check in to org and confirm are thoese changes really commited?
NikiVankerkNikiVankerk
I checked and double checked because I knew this hasn't been possible before.  I see my class in Production (na6) has a modified date stamp from this morning, it has the small change I made to the class in Eclipse and I didn't deploy from sandbox.

I'm using Eclipse Kepler Release with API version 29.0.0.  Just to be sure I tried to update the same class again just now and it again saved the updated class directly to Production.
justin_sfdcjustin_sfdc
Hi Niki,

If you are logged into your production environment in Eclipse and make some changes in the Apex classes or Triggers in it and mistakely save it without any errors at all then it will actually make the changes in the production environment. A lot of developers do not know it but yes, it is possible.
This feature can be best used whenever you do not need to fire certain trigger at the time of data load into Production, you can either comment your whole trigger body or even directly inactivate it!

Hope that helped!