function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sfdc_beginnerSfdc_beginner 

Is it possible to create a cross device salesforce app that support offline capabilities ?

Hey there,

Kindly let me know if  it Is possible to create a cross device salesforce app that support offline capabilities (working offline)?

Dominic Blythe .Dominic Blythe .
In theory, Mobile SDK hybrid apps are cross-device. There are SDKs for iOS and Android, which include SmartSync and SmartStore for offline data. Although the native part of the SDKs is different between iOS and Android, the web part is the same, so a hybrid (html5 + javascript) app could be written so that all the contents of the www directory (your app code) can be swapped between the 2 SDKs and run the same in either one.
Hey Dominic,

Thanks !
One more q'n-  Smart store supports building mobile app with offline capabilities.

Does the Smart store  also supports Desktop offline version as well ?

Thanks
Also kindly let me know the best solution to develop app that supports cross device (Mobile and Desktop) with offline capabilities.

I came to know that SmartStore supports building mobile app with offline features, but does it support desktop version too ?
Also, does Force.com flex framework supports building mobile app with offline features ?

Thanks a lot in advance

Dominic Blythe .Dominic Blythe .
SmartStore and SmartSync rely on underlying native code in the iOS and Android Mobile SDKs, so don’t work on a desktop browser. The Flex framework is specific to Adobe Integrated Runtime (AIR) apps so is an entirely different development environment and runtime environment. I know AIR works on a range of desktops, and I believe it also can run in iOS and Android so it might be the way ahead for a single portable offline app. SFDC Air kit uses Salesforce Offline Briefcase definition for its offline/sync capabilities, not SmartStore / SmartSync.
Thanks Dominic !

Is there any other way that you recommend building single portable offline app (for both Mobile and Desktop) ?

Or is it possible to use SQl lite to store offline data with the Flex framework ?