function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
James LoghryJames Loghry 

New Security Review Rule for enforcing FLS and CRUD Checks in Custom Controllers

Last week, it was brought to my attention that security reviews and audits are now asking ISVs to check for Field Level Security (FLS) and Object CRUD permissions prior to any DML outside of standard controllers.  

This is a fairly radical change that impacts a lot of managed package applications across the board. I and others have several concerns about this change in the security review process:
  1. Why the sudden change in security review policy?  
    • None of the ISVs I have talked to were informed of the change prior to being either audited or submitting any apps for security review.  The only official documentation I can find on the change is a blurb in the Security Scanner help page here: http://security.force.com/security/tools/forcecom/scannerhelp.  
    • As ISVs, it would be greatly appreciated to have an official Security Review Guide, that is updated well in advance to when policy changes like this take place.  Some ISVs have several packages, others lots of customizations, and we all need time to prepare for the security review.
  2. Has the security scanner been updated to enforce this rule yet?
    1. I have not run an app through the Security Review process recently, so I am curious if this rule has been implemented already in the security scanner. (http://security.force.com/security/tools/forcecom/scanner)
  3. Why force FLS and CRUD checks on every DML transaction?
    • I am a fan of using standard controllers when necessary, but several apps, including one my company develops rely heavily on Custom Controllers.  In most cases where FLS comes into play, typically it's a simple fix of a profile permission or permission set that resolves the issue.  Instead, now, we have to implement FLS and CRUD checking prior to each DML transaction.  This adds complexity on top of existing DML calls.  
    • If need be, can the FLS and CRUD checking be done on a one-time run in an install script?
    • Does Salesforce have any plans of either adding FLS checking for custom controllers or adding methods to Apex for checking credentials similar to the Force.com EASPI library? (https://code.google.com/p/force-dot-com-esapi/)
Thanks, I look forward to hearing any feedback on this issue.
Best Answer chosen by James Loghry
jamesDjamesD
Hi James,

First, I’m sorry to hear that this came as a surprise to you.  Hopefully I can help with some resources that should make it easier and more predictable in the future.

The changing nature of security dictates that requirements will evolve over time as platform features change and as the security/threat landscape changes. In this case we’ve had this listed as a requirement since October 2009 on the requirements checklist.  (See the link below)  It’s important to keep up with security best practices and requirements to ensure that our mutual customers and their data are protected.  We have a site dedicated to developer resources that should help.  Please see the links below:

Secure Cloud Development site:
http://developer.force.com/security

Secure coding Guidelines (includes Crud/FLS Guidance):
http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Secure_Coding_Guideline

Requirements checklist: http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php?title=Requirements_Checklist

Between this documentation and the guidance on OWASP that is cross-linked you should have a comprehensive set of documentation to help you to prepare for the security review.

2. Has the security scanner been updated to enforce this rule yet?

We have a beta rule that can find some instances of CRUD/FLS violations but it is prone to false positives and negatives.  This is a really difficult issue to find using static analysis because it’s more of a program logic issue than a data flow issue like XSS.

Unfortunately tools cannot find every issue or even reliably find all classes of issues. otherwise security would be a solved problem.  Secure coding standards and manual reviews play a huge part in securing your offering.

The spirit of the requirement is to honor the access control configuration choices that org admins make in ISV offerings.  If an admin explicitly restricts access control for sharing/CRUD/FLS then ISV offerings should respect that.  The dynamic nature of access control makes a one time check an ineffective way to enforce the policy.  I agree that it is a bit tedious but our mutual customers expect it.

I personally think that easier CRUD/FLS enforcement would be a fantastic feature and I’d encourage you to add that to our Ideas site. https://success.salesforce.com/ideaSearch The teams really do look at ideas and some of our best features have come from our users.

I hope this helps. Again we don’t want to put undue burden on our partners but our mutual customers have high expectations for the security of our platform and our ISV offerings.  Security is part of your success and ours.

All Answers

David EspositoDavid Esposito
James,

I want to pretty much echo everything you just said, but want to add a few additional things. We too just got an awful surprise when our package (4 years old) was rejected during re-review du to FLS/CRUD.

CRUD/FLS should be enforced by the plaform -- not subject to a novice developer, or a quickly implemented feature by a seasoned Apex developer that bypasses it. Having to explicitly code each CRUD/FLS check is a recipe for an inadvertant security leak and is the reason platforms provide core service layers -- to prevent everyone from having to code the same tedious thing a zillion times over.

Salesforce sells security as one of the features of the platform. Customers expect it to be enforced.

Salesforce's security review process is inconsistent, slow, and doesn't require that every package version be tested -- just a periodic re-review -- so this leaves Salesforce open to embarassment when a customer discovers that the Profiles and Permission Sets they set are not honored in all circumstances.

As for the new security review requirement: the security review is a complete mystery to pretty much anyone except those within the security team. Each package we've had reviewed is a white knuckle affair because the automated security scanner doesn't identify the same things that the human doing the review identifies and with a large package (ours has over 100k lines of Apex), having any reasonable conversation about each individual issue turns into chaos. No one can say for sure when the CRUD/FLS checks became mandatory because they were always "policy" -- they apparently just got 'overlooked'? in the past? (Where "in the past" is as recent as June -- that's when some of our other packages with definite CRUD/FLS problems were happily approved)

I'm most disappointed in the fact that this new policy didn't spawn someone on the Platform team to speak up and say "yes, we can do this in a comprehensive way as part of the plaform" rather than shed the responsiblity onto the thousands of ISVs that chose the platform because of 'security as a service'. This leaves a bitter taste in our mouths.

What I'd like to hear is that the Platform team has heard us loud and clear, is going to implement native support for CRUD/FLS within one or two Salesforce releases, and that ISVs currently getting rejected will be granted provisional passing of their review with the expectation that they enable support for the new platform enforcement as soon as it's available.

I, too, look forward to feedback from Salesforce.

-Dave

jamesDjamesD
Hi James,

First, I’m sorry to hear that this came as a surprise to you.  Hopefully I can help with some resources that should make it easier and more predictable in the future.

The changing nature of security dictates that requirements will evolve over time as platform features change and as the security/threat landscape changes. In this case we’ve had this listed as a requirement since October 2009 on the requirements checklist.  (See the link below)  It’s important to keep up with security best practices and requirements to ensure that our mutual customers and their data are protected.  We have a site dedicated to developer resources that should help.  Please see the links below:

Secure Cloud Development site:
http://developer.force.com/security

Secure coding Guidelines (includes Crud/FLS Guidance):
http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Secure_Coding_Guideline

Requirements checklist: http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php?title=Requirements_Checklist

Between this documentation and the guidance on OWASP that is cross-linked you should have a comprehensive set of documentation to help you to prepare for the security review.

2. Has the security scanner been updated to enforce this rule yet?

We have a beta rule that can find some instances of CRUD/FLS violations but it is prone to false positives and negatives.  This is a really difficult issue to find using static analysis because it’s more of a program logic issue than a data flow issue like XSS.

Unfortunately tools cannot find every issue or even reliably find all classes of issues. otherwise security would be a solved problem.  Secure coding standards and manual reviews play a huge part in securing your offering.

The spirit of the requirement is to honor the access control configuration choices that org admins make in ISV offerings.  If an admin explicitly restricts access control for sharing/CRUD/FLS then ISV offerings should respect that.  The dynamic nature of access control makes a one time check an ineffective way to enforce the policy.  I agree that it is a bit tedious but our mutual customers expect it.

I personally think that easier CRUD/FLS enforcement would be a fantastic feature and I’d encourage you to add that to our Ideas site. https://success.salesforce.com/ideaSearch The teams really do look at ideas and some of our best features have come from our users.

I hope this helps. Again we don’t want to put undue burden on our partners but our mutual customers have high expectations for the security of our platform and our ISV offerings.  Security is part of your success and ours.
This was selected as the best answer
jamesDjamesD
David thanks for the feedback.  Again comprehensive preparation including secure coding practices and manual testing should make your experience much more predictable and smooth.  I ‘m sorry to hear that your experience has not been good and I hope that it's better in the future.  I’d also encourage you to add to the Ideas site because the more activity an idea has the more attention it gets.  

To clarify your point partners are required in the partner agreement to enforce a level of security consistent with our requirements and security best practices.  There are manual touch points such as the periodic re-review and automated touch points where every package version is scanned using the code scanner. We rely on the hard work and diligence of our partner community to keep offerings on the AppExchange secure.
ca_petersonca_peterson
@JamesD, can I ask you to confirm something I heard form the security team years ago? The behavior you're describing of checking all CRUD and FLS in code is required by default,but that including an opt-out for this that an admin can configure is acceptable?

I ask because depending on the codebase and how dyanmic it is CRUD and FLS checks can consume a rather substantial amount of limits use, and in many cases can actually limit the configuration possible on an application since apex can involve use cases other and just read/write (like reading only to derive other values in a controller and not exposing the field's value to the user).
Dan ApplemanDan Appleman
@JamesD - at the very least, it would be great to have a way to validate FLS in a way that doesn't count against limits. If you're going to require that level of verification, it should be "free" in terms of describe limits.
jamesDjamesD
I had heard the configurable option was allowed right after the requirement was added as a temporary measure to allow ISVs to update their software to enforce by default.   There are some legitimate cases where you wouldn’t do a check like a rollup report where the user may not have access to all of the records but the report won’t expose any specific data or a trigger because triggers run as system.  I’ll pass on the concern about limits to the teams responsible and see what they think is possible.
@LaceySnr - Matt Lacey@LaceySnr - Matt Lacey
Another clarification request: is the rule a blanket rule or is it based around security? I get that some administrators will want to restrict certain things, but can we make a case for not checking when there is no sensitivity involved around the data stored in a custom object or custom field? 
jamesDjamesD
Unfortunately we don't know what a customer will consider to be sensitive so we apply it to all applications. We let the customer make the decision about data sensitivity and ask partners to build their apps in a way that would support the customer’s choices.
michaelforcemichaelforce
I must be missing something... but isn't it a very common requirement for an application to be able to run in system mode?  Often times you want to prevent a user from editing things directly, but their actions in your app may cause a change to those fields or objects that they can't change directly.  Salesforce understands this as this is why Apex code runs in system mode in the first place... this is why the "without sharing" keyword exists.  Yet, I have an application that uses the "without sharing" keyword for good reason and it always gets flagged during review and I have to justify.  Now I guess I will have to justify DML running in system mode as well?
Saleem Baba M DSaleem Baba M D
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what is the mistake I have done in the below code, because checkmarx throwing it as FLS Vulnerabilitie.

Savepoint sp = Database.setSavepoint();
    User u = new User();
    u=[SELECT Contact.email, Contact.firstName, Contact.lastName FROM User WHERE id=:userId];
    if(Schema.sObjectType.Contact.fields.email.isupdateable())
    {
        u.Contact.email = data.email;
    }
    if(Schema.sObjectType.Contact.fields.firstName.isupdateable())
    {
        u.Contact.firstName = data.firstName;
    }
    if(Schema.sObjectType.Contact.fields.lastName.isupdateable())
    {
        u.Contact.lastName = data.lastName;
    }
    if(Schema.sObjectType.User.fields.firstName.isupdateable())
    {
        u.firstName = data.firstName;
    }
    if(Schema.sObjectType.User.fields.LastName.isupdateable())
    {
        u.lastName = data.lastName;
    }
    if(Schema.sObjectType.User.fields.email.isupdateable())
    {
        u.email = data.email;
    }
    try {
        if(User.sObjectType.getDescribe().isupdateable())
        {
            update u;
        }
        if(Contact.sObjectType.getDescribe().isupdateable())
        {
            update u.Contact;
        }
     } catch (Exception e) {
        Database.rollback(sp);
    }

Appricate for the fast response. 

Thanks,
SaleemBaba Mohammed
Sorry to those that are in both the Partner Community and watching this thread for the cross-post, but I thought it was important enough to share with those that aren't Partners (yet)

We just finished retrofitting our large code base (100k lines of Apex) with a utility that we are open sourcing. We corresponded with a member of the security review team and it was given initial blessing and we finally received approval for our package today. As the README indicates, this is really the low-risk band-aid to retrofit existing code. It adds some additional cost with respect to governor limits (max SOQL queries, and max rows retrieved) so if you have methods already at the brink of exploding, you might have some refactoring in your future.

https://github.com/patronmanager/apex-dml-manager

So that I give credit where credit is due, the core concept was that of Eric Whipple and with the help of Tom Fuda, we crossed all the I's and dotted the T's .. or something like that

Please vote up a couple ideas that would've made this a little less hacky:

https://success.salesforce.com/ideaView?id=08730000000GzMwAAK

https://success.salesforce.com/ideaView?id=08730000000l5vbAAA

We're glad to accept contributions -- just create a Pull Request

I also want to call attention to Dan Appleman's excellent and timely post about sharing rules in general -- the last paragraph is really the best piece of advice you can take. Paraphrasing: As long as you can demonstrate that you thought about security when writing your Apex code, the security review team is quite reasonable to accept justifications for cases where system access is necessary

https://developer.salesforce.com/page/Without_Sharing
Andy FawcettAndy Fawcett
I've started an experimental branch of the Apex Enterprise Patterns library (https://github.com/financialforcedev/fflib-apex-common/blob/fls-support-experiment/README.md) to automate CRUD and FLS security checking. In contrast with David's excellent contribution to solving this problem generically, the basis for my generic approach is to go down the route of leveraging the Apex Trigger old and new collections to determine field changes for the 'udpdate' checking (the Domain layer pattern already encapusulates trigger code and infact historically object security checking).

As an experiment goes it works quite well with zero changes to the existing sample app demonstrating the patterns. However sadly (for now at least) shares the pain (https://success.salesforce.com/ideaView?id=08730000000l5vbAAA) of determiing the fields that have been modified with David's solution. i'll be writing up a blog post with more details on the pros and cons (as well as less controversial improvements to the patterns).

While I'm commited to helping the community with this challange in the here and now of the current Security Review requirements. I am even more dedicated to encouraging Salesforce to add platform support for this asap. The bottom line is, it's unacceptable to seed even a moderate code base with these kind of checks. Ideally we need seamless support for this kind of checking, as per 'with sharing' with something like 'with user permissions' keyword perhaps? Or at the least in the meantime, some improved support to Dynamic Apex as per the idea here (https://success.salesforce.com/ideaView?id=08730000000l5vbAAA).

SFDCDev501SFDCDev501
It is sad that this post is 2 years old and many of us in the space are fighting this. David stated it best above:

"Each package we've had reviewed is a white knuckle affair because the automated security scanner doesn't identify the same things that the human doing the review identifies and with a large package (ours has over 100k lines of Apex), having any reasonable conversation about each individual issue turns into chaos." Still an issue 2 years later.

I have scenarios that fall underneath the WITHOUT SHARING article. https://developer.salesforce.com/page/Without_Sharing 

As a OEM building custom software on the platform it is extremely difficult to work with SFDC Security Engineers on any of those items, even though it is published. 

There has been no improvements on visibility into this process either.

Furthermore there is no predictability. I have walked 2 App Extensions through Security Review Successfully. Then when I use the same justifications for design decisions that were accepted by 1 security reviewer and then they are denied by a 2nd reviewer after waiting months in the review queue.

I attended 2 sessions at DF15 on CRUD/FLS

The first (https://success.salesforce.com/Ev_Sessions?eventId=a1Q30000000DHQlEAO#/session/a2q30000001FmIhAAK)was a fireside with Mike Tetlow from Bracket Labs and he brought to everyone's attention that CRUD/FLS checks are now also being enforced on READ (i.e. SOQL queries) as well as on insert/update by the Security Review team. This further complicates development in Apex. We read the Salesforce Developer blog and are subscribed to all of the appropriate groups in the Partner Community; none of this was ever announced or discussed. It just arrives in your inbox as a surprise new policy when you fail security review.

The second (https://success.salesforce.com/Ev_Sessions?eventId=a1Q30000000DHQlEAO#/session/a2q300000019kL6AAI) was with Ryan Flood from Salesforce security team. I brought up the core concerns outlined in this thread and Ryan was taken aback, almost as if he had never heard from an ISV about how onerous of a process it is to outfit your entire code base with CRUD/FLS checks. Additionally, I pointed out that CRUD/FLS is one of the dirtiest secrets since not a shred of sample code/sample apps (except that one Testing CRUD and FLS page) illustrates secure coding practices in Apex. I followed up with Ryan after Dreamforce but never received a reply.

Lastly, Lightning Components don't address CRUD/FLS at all, even the standard ones (https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.lightning.meta/lightning/apex_crud_fls.htm). So, in this regard, the platform is moving backwards -- code is insecure by default, rather than the other way around.

Sad.

RyanFloodRyanFlood
David, I am sorry to hear how our discussion went. I am searching for your email now and will follow up immediately.  I don't know how that fell off my radar, but I am commited to fixing this.
To those that have been following along on this thread for the past couple of years, can you please vote on this Idea to have a facility for 'automatically' enforcing CRUD/FLS in Apex please:

https://success.salesforce.com/ideaView?id=08730000000Lj8GAAS

Ryan Flood did reply to me and pointed out that there wasn't a formal idea on the Ideas site yet .. so I created one.
Richard CorfieldRichard Corfield
What of situations where you'd not want to check FLS/CRUD because the system is performing an action on behalf of the user?

A contrivied but hopefully familliar example. Consider I want to pay Andy £100. So I call a service or controller saying "Pay Andy £100". The system checks that I have the money and am allowed to make the payment to Andy before updating our bank balances and recording the transaction. (All atomically of course).

I should not be able to access Andy's balance, although I can read my balance. Maybe Sharing would fix that. But at no point should I be able to write my bank balance. The system can do so on my behalf, but if I was given FLS Write access to that field then I could become very wealthy indeed.

So here is a situation where I'd expect to not see an FLS check for a DML operation and I'd expect nobody to have write access to the affected field. (I've seen a financial system in a previous job maintain a cryptographic signature on records to stop even the database admin changing data!)

A lower level example perhaps, code that maintains integrity constraints. We use a hash in a field on some tables with composite identities, in other words a situation where a combination of multiple values has to be unique. We can also use the hash to help query on unique combinations. The hash field is set to database unique and is maintained by trigger in the BEFORE stage. As it is enforced by trigger in the AFTER stage then granting FLS Write would be harmless, but why should it be needed? The system maintains that field, not the user. 
I note that the Salesforce Security Self Assessment Tool does have the question "Does your application enforce its own security model?". This would presumably cover my bank transfer example.
https://developer.salesforce.com/index.php?title=Requirements_Checklist
Martín BorthiryMartín Borthiry
Sorry, but I don't get what is the avantage to do: 

try{
    if(FancyFLSHelper.isUpdatable(Contact.SObjectType, List<String>{'LastName'})){
        update c;
    }
}catcht(CRUDFLSException e){
    Page.addError(e.getMessage());
}

instead of

try{
        update c;
}catcht(DMLException e){
    Page.addError(e.getMessage());
}

Shouldn't SFDC always ensure that the current user is changing data that he has permissions?