function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
scott.mcallisterscott.mcallister 

Training: DEV501 without DEV401?

My company has offered to pay for SF dev training, and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to attend. My role is to enhance and maintain the development of an app in the AppExchange that integrates with our company's service, with the possibility of creating additional apps to enhance customer experience.  I forsee most of my work being done in Apex/VF code.

Reading the course descriptions, I get the sense that DEV401 is for those with little coding background, and DEV501 is more code-focused. With this assumption, I'm leaning toward DEV501, since I have a coding background - just not necessarily in Apex/Visualforce. 

Because the training is a considerable financial investment, and I can only attend one of the classes, I wanted to post to the forum to see if my assumptions were correct, or if I was off base. With six months of SF development experience, would I be lost going straight into DEV501?
thomastthomast
DEV401 includes no coding - it is all declarative development through the administrative UI ("clicks not code"). I've not taken DEV501, but that is definitely the Apex/Visualforce course. I suspect that as an experienced developer, you might find the pacing a little slow, but that's the content that you need more.

That said, I would strongly recommend working through the Force.com Workbook (https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.workbook.meta/workbook/workshops_intro.htm) in advance of the class. This will get you up to speed on the declarative elements of Force.com development - building objects, page layouts, and permissions. And the declarative automation tools like validation rules, formulas and workflow. 

Feroz Abdul RehmanSFDCFeroz Abdul RehmanSFDC
You've made the right assumptions Scott. If you forsee most of your work being done in Apex and Visualforce, the DEV501 is definitely the right course for you considering the fact that you have experience in coding. And I absolutely agree with @thomast advice to work through the Workbook. That would be invaluable. Without understanding the declarative functionality and the security model that is taught in the DEV401 course, you won't be able to maximize the benefit that you get out of the DEV501. The workbook will teach you many of these concepts.
I've never had anyone feel that the pace of the class is slow no matter how experienced they are. The course packs quite a lot in it so you'll enjoy the ride. If you expand on what experience you've gained in your 6 months of SF development, maybe I could try and help you further.
Good luck with the course. Any feedback you provide about the course once you've done it would be much appreciated.