function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
theDtheD 

Can't display relationship fields on Edit Page

I have a Parent/Child/Grandchild structure.The problem is that when the users creates a NEW Grandchild, they sometimes forget which PARENT they are working on. I know there is an issue with SF not displaying formula field values at Child/Grandchild EDIT pages. So, I created a new VF NEW/EDIT Page and tried to display the Name of Parent there but no love. I have tried __r relationship and formula fields that have __r  constructs but nothing ever resolves. 

Is there anyway around this without Extension controlller? I have looked at BB's http://bobbuzzard.blogspot.com/2011/11/retrieve-related-object-fields.html

Is that the only way to get this? This is one more for the list of dumb SF things. 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
If you are specifying the parent as part of the edit process, then you will need an extension controller, or you could write some JavaScript to pull back the related records and update the DOM directly.

When you populate a lookup field, that just retrieves the name and ID of the related object, rather than populating the full object graph.