function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Wiz76Wiz76 

Populating Parent Record on New VF Page

Hoping for some help here...I have never done VF development before but I wanted to give it a shot in some prototyping I am doing for a project.

I have an Object (Underwriting__c) which I have created to track our underwriting process. I am building a simplified approval process so I have created a child to trakc these (Approval_history__c). I would like to have a button on the detail page of the underwriting layout take me to a custom VF page to select the next approver, but I am having problems being able to populate the Underwriting__c parent field on this new VF page.

I have read many posts and tried a lot of their code to make this work but I just can't get it to populate when clicking the button from the Undewriting page. Hoping for some help in any way. I know it involves a controller extension but all the ones I have tried on this board do not help.

Here is my page so far:
<apex:page standardController="Approval_History__c">
    <apex:form >
        <apex:pageBlock title="Choose Next Approver">
        <apex:pageBlockButtons >
            <apex:commandButton value="Save" action="{!save}"/>
        </apex:pageBlockButtons>
        <apex:pageBlockSection >
            <apex:inputField required="TRUE" value="{!Approval_History__c.Next_Approver__c}"/>
            <apex:inputField required="TRUE" value="{!Approval_History__c.Underwriting__c}"/>
        </apex:pageBlockSection>      
        </apex:pageBlock>
    </apex:form>
</apex:page>

The goal would be to substitute {!Approval_History__c.Underwriting__c} with the name or Id (not sure which because the name is what needs to populate when using a URL hack). So the only thing they need to choose is the next approver. I am trying to shy away from the URL hack because I only want them to have the ability to save, not save & new or cancel.

Thanks!
ShashForceShashForce
Hi Wiz76,

The syntax to get the Underwriting record is not '{!Approval_History__c.Underwriting__c}'

It should instead be something like '{!Approval_History__r.Underwriting__c}' , because it is a relationship that we are getting it from. '__r' is the syntax for relationships. Again it depends on the relationship name. When you created the lookup field on the approval history object, you must have given a relationship name. That relationship name should be used here. for example, if the relationship name is 'Approval_Historys', then the syntax would be '{!Approval_History__r.Underwriting__c}'

Thanks,
Shashank