function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Tim ReillyTim Reilly 

Appear to be hitting daily API request limit

Just recently started running into this error message: "TotalRequests Limit exceeded."

We should have 7000 requests/day. Looking at our API call report, I have no idea how we're coming anywhere close to this 7000 limit. Is there part of this report that's missing or a different way to see how we're exceeding our total request limit?

This is affecting some time-sensitive, production applications we have including a link to our billing/invoicing system Intacct and an application we use to create licenses for our customers. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

AmitAmit (Salesforce Developers) 
Hello,

A user with the "Modify All Data" permission will have the ability to run the report  "API Usage Last 7 Days".  This report is a standard report in the "Administrative Reports" folder, and this report will show the Name, Username, E-mail, Client Id, Day Of Week, and Call Count.  This report will help determine who and what are making the most API calls within a week.

Thanks,
Amit Bhardwaj
Tim Reilly 7Tim Reilly 7
Hi Amit,

Thanks for the response. This is the report I've been using. The problem we're seeing is that the API calls we see listed in the 'API Usage Last 7 Days' report don't come anywhere close to the 7,000 API call limit that we're apparently hitting (as indicated by our Company Profile info). 

For example, our Company Information -> Company Profile screen has the following information for today:

API Requests, Last 24 Hours 7,152 (7,000 max)

However, our 'API Usage Last 7 Days' report shows that our Call Count is not coming anywhere near that limit of 7,000 calls when broken down by day. Because of this, I was curious to see if there is some other report that I might be missing. I hope that makes sense.

Tim Reilly 7Tim Reilly 7
While searching for answers today, I did come across this article (https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewSolution?id=000133732&language=en_US) which kind of explains this. Although I still don't understand what's going on in our instance. All of the API calls over the past 7 days combined don't add up to even half of our 24 hour limit for total requests (which we're apparently going over)...
Bradley WagnerBradley Wagner
I'll echo Tim's sentiment here. It stands to reason that even if you can't exactly use the "API Calls Made Within Last 7 Days" report to see where your calls are going, that if all calls over even a 2 or 3 day period don't add up to your daily limit you should be ok, right?

Any ideas here? As Tim mentiond our "API Calls Made Within Last 7 Days" shows a TOTAL of roughly HALF of what our daily limit is and yet our profile shows we've used over our limit in the last 24 hours and doesn't appear to be resetting.

Is there something we're missing here or some way to request a reset of the API limit?
J HilleshJ Hillesh
I just posted a similar issue...except...In my 7 day report shows the calls being made/user...except the "Client ID" is blank...so I don't know WHAT is making the calls.

https://developer.salesforce.com/forums/ForumsMain?id=906F0000000ATU9IAO
Thanks J. In your case, it seems like your API calls are actually showing up in your report but are not being identified with a Client ID. In our case, we see that we're exceeding the limit in our company profile but the calls don't appear in the report. Either way there seems to be some reporting issues here.
NehalNehal (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi,

Please refer to below article that will give you the answer on the issue you are facing:

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?urlname=Why-don-t-the-numbers-for-my-API-Usage-align-with-the-numbers-in-my-API-Usage-Last-7-Days-report&language=en_US

I hope this helps.

Hi Nehal,

Yes, we've read and linked to that article earlier in this thread. The problem is that the numbers aren't off by a little bit as described in that article.

As I mentioned, ALL of our calls for the LAST 7 DAYS add up to less than 800 calls which is 6000 less than our daily limit (~7000) and yet, we somehow seem to be hitting our daily limit every day. These calls aren't showing up anywhere in our 7 report.

So, unless, I'm misunderstand something, we seem to be incorreclty hitting our daily limit based on the data in the 7 day report.

Is there another place to look for other types of application that might be making requests? We've gone through our users and disabled applications. We're not really sure where to go next.

NehalNehal (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi,

Have you disabled "Paradot" as well?

Yes, I disabled our Pardot connector. Here's the calls from the last 7 days:

Pardot/	Sunday	73
-	Sunday	3
-	Sunday	10
-	Monday	10
-	Monday	3
Pardot/	Monday	61
-	Monday	29
-	Monday	25
-	Tuesday	4
-	Tuesday	15
-	Tuesday	6
-	Wednesday	15
-	Wednesday	4
-	Wednesday	6
-	Thursday	4
-	Thursday	15
-	Friday	15
-	Friday	4
-	Friday	1
FYI, we eventually narrowed this problem down to an application that was making an excessive number of requests to the bulk API which wasn't showing up in the "API Calls Made Within Last 7 Days" report at all but was causing us to exceed our daily API limit.

Thanks!