function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NiiiiiiikNiiiiiiik 

Apex in Professional Edition to retrieve data form an external web service.

I have a doubt regarding apex develompent in a professional edition.
I know that apex isn't available with this license, however in this (http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/packagingGuide/Content/dev_packages_apex_ge_pe.htm) page is written that i can use apex for web services callouts:
Using Apex to make Web service callouts is allowed in GE/PE. For instance, if you’re planning to make a Web service callout to an external Web service, as long as the managed package is authorized, these classes will function in GE/PE.
In my project I need to retrieve data from an external web service and show them in salesforce. Is this possibile in a professional edition with apex? In particular I would like to create a custom controller, that will retrieve the data from external web service, and attach it to a visualforce page to show the data retrieved.
If I cannot use apex I'll create a simple visualforce page and then load the data from the external web service through jQuery.

Best Answer chosen by Niiiiiiik
Vamsi KrishnaVamsi Krishna
Hi,
the details in that link is for applications installed in GE/PE .. those applications can use APEX which can make callouts ..
its not applicable for the GE/PE in general...

so you cannot create custom controller.. as you mentioned you can try using VF page with jQuery..

All Answers

Vamsi KrishnaVamsi Krishna
Hi,
the details in that link is for applications installed in GE/PE .. those applications can use APEX which can make callouts ..
its not applicable for the GE/PE in general...

so you cannot create custom controller.. as you mentioned you can try using VF page with jQuery..
This was selected as the best answer
aalbertaalbert
No, Apex is not supported in Group nor Professional Edition. The documentation you list above is specific to ISV Partners building and distributiong managing packages. Those packages can contain Apex and be installed into a GE/PE org after passing Security Review. But a developer can't develop apex directly in GE/PE orgs.