function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Scott ThorellScott Thorell 

Lead clone to a contact without converting and losing lead status

I want to take the contact info under a lead and get it under contacts without losing them as a lead.   For example, John Doe works for ABC Company.  All of John's info is listed under the ABC Co. Lead fields.    There are 2 other people from ABC that are listed under "Contacts"   I want to make sure John Doe is also listed under Contacts without 1) converting and losing ABC as a lead; 2) re-inputting John's info under contacts.  Would like a custom button to do this for all Leads we add in the future as well
JonathanBaltzJonathanBaltz
Hi Scott,
My thoughts on this would be to grab the data from the Salutation, FirstName, LastName, Title, PhotoUrl, Email, Phone, Street, City, State, PostalCode, Country, Address fields in the Lead record and use that info to create a Contact.  You can do this through a trigger, and possibly a button using JS Remoting.  If you do this you will have an orphaned contact (one with no related Account) with the person information from the lead, while the lead has not been affected. 

The caveat here is that in order to convert the Lead, you may have to customize the conversion functionality so a seond Contact for the lead is NOT created, but the ID for the contact that was created previously is added to the ConvertedContactId field in the converted Lead record. 

I hope that helps and makes sense.