function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Andy Coustick-DealAndy Coustick-Deal 

Workflows Triggering via Field Changes

Hello all,

I have a question born of paranoia for the floor.

We have a number of workflows which trigger off emails based on certain fields changing, e.g moving the Record to the Confirmed status.  These workflows are all set to "Evaluate the rule when a record is created, and any time it’s edited to subsequently meet criteria."

So my question is: if I need to change the owner of a load of these records, and the owner is NOT one of the fields which affect the workflow, then there shouldn't be any way of emails being sent out?  Basically, I want to know I can update other parts of these records and not end up sending emails to all sorts of people who should not be getting any.

As far as I can see, there are absolutely no links between the record owner and any of the workflows, beyond being part of the mail merge on the emails which would be sent out.  So I think this is just me being incredibly paranoid.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Best Answer chosen by Andy Coustick-Deal
Ramu_SFDCRamu_SFDC
It shouldn't be a problem at all. As long the criteria does not include the field you are modifying it will not trigger the workflow rules. As a test I suggest that you always test with a single record and go with bulk transaction.

Hope this helps !

All Answers

Ramu_SFDCRamu_SFDC
It shouldn't be a problem at all. As long the criteria does not include the field you are modifying it will not trigger the workflow rules. As a test I suggest that you always test with a single record and go with bulk transaction.

Hope this helps !
This was selected as the best answer
Andy Coustick-DealAndy Coustick-Deal
Thanks very much!  Just needed some reassurance that there's not that one obvious thing that everyone else knows and I don't! :)  I've done a test and that was fine, so I'll go ahead and do the rest.

Thanks again!
Ramu_SFDCRamu_SFDC
Please go ahead. "Evaluate the rule when a record is created, and any time it’s edited to subsequently meet criteria" is the safest one compared to "Everytime it it is edited".