function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Veekay1Veekay1 

b2b and b2c

My organization has to store both Member(B2C) (who are patients) and Providers(B2B)(hospital, doctors, insurance ) details in salesforce. What is the best way to store them. I understand person accounts has lot of negative remarks.
arnoldfbrownarnoldfbrown
You could use different record types for Patients vs. Provider Contacts.  You could use different record types for Patient Accounts, vs Provider Accounts.  But whatever you do, definitely stay the HELL AWAY FROM PERSON ACCOUNTS.   I made that mistake in my NPO org and it is a BIG mistake.   Good luck.
Veekay1Veekay1
Thank You for the reply.

Based on my research, these are the issues I found about Person Account.

• Once you turn it off, YOU CANNOT TURN IT OFF. 
• When you convert a Lead, it will be converted to a Person Account when the Company field is blank.
• Person accounts can only be merged with a Person Account, not with an Account or Contact.
• Person Accounts does not work with Parent Accounts and Account Hierarchy. (Cause it is an individual!)
• It is a nightmare when you try to do cross object formulas and workflows etc, as some of the fields are from Accounts, some are from Contacts. Same logic applies to coding and triggers.
• That would impact on some Salesforce features which rely on Contacts, such as Campaigns (as Person Account is treated as an Account), and Customer portal (e.g. Person Account users cannot self-register for a Customer Portal).
• Person Account takes the security and sharing settings from Accounts not from Contacts. It takes triggers from Accounts not from Contacts as well.
• Some of the Apps in Appexchange do not support Person Account. This could be a big issue some of these Apps are very useful.
• As creating a Person Account means creating an Account and a Contact record at the same time, that will impact on your Salesforce storage and also your loading speed.
• Incur 4kb per PersonAccount record instead of 2kb per Contact.
• It is affecting reporting and search. Person Accounts only appear in Account during search. Lose Record Level Security and Sharing settings on Business Contacts w/o an Account.
• Person Accounts often lag behind regular Accounts as far as updates/bug fixes are concerned.
• Person Accounts often get very screwy when using cross-object formulas because some of the fields technically reside on the Account object, and some of them reside on the Contact object.
• Person Accounts also get screwy when using Campaigns, which work with Contacts, despite the fact that you will, in general, being using the Account object Makes it more difficult to use apps from the App Exchange.
• It makes writing test classes for triggers more complicated because of the way you need to link the Accounts and the Contacts when creating test cases.
• They don’t fire Contact Triggers.

Can You please share the problems you faced with Person Accounts.