+ Start a Discussion
Vinnie BVinnie B 

Eclipse giving "Save failed!" and "Nothing to save to project - retrieve result is empty" upon saving

All of a sudden my Eclipse has been acting weird.  When I try to save it usually doesn't let me.  I get the following error messages in the .log file.  In the GUI it warns me the file was only saved locally.

I initially thought this was due to code as I could remove all of my code and get the file to save.  However, when I then started putting code back in to see what me be causing the problem, the results were not consistent.  I can understand if I made coding errors.  I do that all the time.  :)  But I wasn't getting any of the typical messages that the compiler or Salesforce gives me when I make these errors.

Has anyone seen this before?  I'm planning on trying this against a new sandbox to see if that's the issue. After that I'll assume it's the Eclipse binaries somehow being corrupted and will try the latest version.

---

!ENTRY com.salesforce.ide.core 2 0 2014-06-11 16:03:28.500
!MESSAGE  WARN [2014-06-11 16:03:28,499] (ProjectService.java:handleDeployResult:1909) - Save failed!

!ENTRY com.salesforce.ide.core 2 0 2014-06-11 16:03:28.504
!MESSAGE  WARN [2014-06-11 16:03:28,501] (ProjectService.java:handleRetrieveResult:2085) - Nothing to save to project - retrieve result is empty
Best Answer chosen by Vinnie B
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
I have seen projects get corrupted in this way, but very infrequently.  Usually when this happens I just delete the project from eclipse and create a new one from the Salesforce instance - what happens if you try that?

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
I have seen projects get corrupted in this way, but very infrequently.  Usually when this happens I just delete the project from eclipse and create a new one from the Salesforce instance - what happens if you try that?
This was selected as the best answer
Vinnie BVinnie B
I recently upgraded Eclipse on my work machine, my home machine, and my Linux laptop all to the Kepler version.  That is working very well.  There were a couple of minor issues but they're easy to deal with.  I like that I can work on my home machine, then get to work and update the same files I was working on at my work machine, and continue making changes.

One issue I had is that an old sandbox, now nearly a year old, simply stopped working when doing changes in Eclipse.  I assume there's something about sandboxes that make them obsolete after a while.  I guess it's just good practice to refresh them every few months.

Thanks for your reply!!