function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Camila HeitzCamila Heitz 

Change case status upon its opening

Hello everyone,

I have cases being created from different channels: email to case, web to lead, etc.
These cases are created with a New status, and I would like the case status to change to Opened automatically, when the case is opened for the first time.
Is this possible without programming a trigger? Any suggestions will do.

Thank you.
Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar
How are you identifying that the case has been opened ??
Camila HeitzCamila Heitz
I don't know...that's what I need to know. When a case is created is NEW, but then when an agent opens it I would like to change it to OPENED (just don't know how I would recognize that it's being opened)
Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar
The way I would approach is when a Case is assigned from Queue(assuming when a case is created it first goes to the Queue) to a user,then I would change the Status to be Opened.

Hope this helps !! 
Camila HeitzCamila Heitz
How is the case assignment changing when it's opened?
Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar
Case assignment is happening manually like someone picks a case from a Queue or may be the supervisor assigns a Case to an Agent !!
Camila HeitzCamila Heitz
My question is, how does salesforce changes queue to agent automatically when a case is opened? Or is this programmed by a WF rule?
Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar
Like I said it is a manual process when someone picks the case from queue or may be the supervisor assigns a Case to an Agent !!

and then you can have a WF rule which says if the Case has been reassigned from Queue to owner,then change the status from New to Opened.

Hope this helps !!
Camila HeitzCamila Heitz
That's a good idea. 

I guess there's no way to do it automatically upon opening.

Thanks!
Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar
Happy to help Camila !!

Please mark it as best answer to help others :)
phiberoptikphiberoptik
Just putting something out there. Salesforce has standard functionality on the Lead object to distinguish between a Read and Unread Lead. Is there any way to tap into this type of functionality via Apex to replicate it as an action on the Case object? So it could be the criteria used in an Apex trigger to reassign the record to the viewing user? No clue if its possible but a thought, none the less.