function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Nikhil PatilNikhil Patil 

Does Android App build using Eclipse IDE counts

Is it allowed to build an app in java using Eclipse as an IDE and later load it into Salesforce platform during the competition.
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC
Hi Nikhil, 

The environment for developing Salesforce and Java would be different and is not possible to load java code in APEX.

Reply back if you are looking for something else.

Regards,
Ashish

John naJohn na
The rules also state dev should not start before the first day of the event.
Nikhil PatilNikhil Patil
As mentioned in the FAQ, we can programmatically create an app with Apex and Visualforce, Javascript, HTML and CSS, but i am an Native Dev and only program in java so is there any chance i can participate in this competition by creating an Android App using Salesforce Android SDK
John naJohn na
Hi Nikhil,

The FAQ states, "At a minimum, your app must run in the Salesforce1 Mobile App container that you can download from Apple App Store or Google Play."  But it also states, "You can also run part of your app on Heroku".

So I think the client must be Salesforce1, but there can be back-end code written in anything.  I think your Java skills could be very useful to a team.
John naJohn na
http://www.summerofhacks.com/faq
Nikhil PatilNikhil Patil
But, the app which i wanted to build is suppose to be working on client side, and it has lot of harware dependencies so using somenthing other then java is not possible for me, so i wanted to know does APK created using java runs on Salesforce 1 Mobile Container  i am really confused with this please help ?
John naJohn na
Sorry Nikhil, I cannot answer that question.  I would post it to the dev forum or contact Salesforce support.

Here is a link to relavent Android SDK info, looks promising:  https://developer.salesforce.com/mobile/getting-started/android#native