function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Newbie  2014Newbie 2014 

New contact creation under an account that has duplicate entries!

In our CRM, we have multiple organizations (Accounts object) with exact same names that are located in different locations; so those duplicate names are legitimate. Now the problem is, we found that if we click “New Contact” from an Account that shares a name with another account, it may NOT assign it to the correct one.

So basically if the account name is a duplicate, SalesForce is showing a drop-down for account names rather than using the account where you clicked “New Contact” from. Then it is sorting the dropdown by some other columns so the selection (if you don’t change it) may not be the account we want.

Salesforce is supposed to use the account ids (instead of the text based names) to work correctly in our case. How can we fix the issue please?

Thank you very much in advance
Prabu MahalingamPrabu Mahalingam
Hi,
I understand that the probelms you face is because of duplicates in Accounts. I will suggest you to install a free app named 'Dupe Catcher' this app has some wonderful features like merging duplicate accounts,contacts,leads etc... Also It prevents creation of duplicate Accounts.

below is the link to that app
 (https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N30000003IYLlEAO)
Newbie  2014Newbie 2014
Thanks for your response but these same name accounts are located in different places so legitimate data for us. We can't get rid of them. We just need a way to have the drop down of new account show zip or states side by side so our users can pick the right entry. Any idea how that can be possible? thanks
Prabu MahalingamPrabu Mahalingam
Hi,
Now I got your point. Follow the steps below

>Click Setup
>At the lefthand side menus below App Setup expand Customize
>Expand Accounts and click Search Layouts and a new page Account Search Layouts will be loaded.
>Edit Lookup Dialogs and add the account fields that needs to be shown while selecting an Account.

Hope This Helps...!!