function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Adam KayAdam Kay 

Questions about the Rules

Hi,

To start off, thank you for hosting one of the few Los Angeles summer hackathons.  I have some very pressing questions about the rules.

I had trouble figuring out not only what is allowed for the competition, but also what is required.  The rules semi-clearly state that every submission is required to use the Salesforce Development Environment.  Is this true?  In that case, would it not make a whole lot of sense to study up on iOS 8 (for example) in preparation for the hackathon?

Also, if my hunches about the required use of the Salesforce Development Environment are true, I would like some guidance on the kinds of creations this hackathon is trying to facilitate?

Many thanks!
rockchick322004rockchick322004
You are correct that native mobile app coding skills are not needed for this hackathon. The app must run in the Salesforce1 Mobile App container that you can download from Apple App Store or Google Play; it cannot be a separate native app download. The front end of the Salesforce1 Mobile App is built with point & click Salesforce1 Platform tools and/or Visualforce. Visualforce supports HTML5/CSS/Javascript, so those skills and frameworks can be used. You can include non-Salesforce code in the app by using the Salesforce Canvas API technology to pull code hosted elsewhere (for example, on Heroku), provided the code is publicly available and easily accessible. Hope that helps! Please see Section 5 in the official rules for more details.
rockchick322004rockchick322004
Regarding what kinds of apps, that will be up to the folks pitching ideas and the participants voting on those ideas to decide. For examples of what customers are doing today with the Salesforce1 Mobile App, see http://blogs.salesforce.com/company/2014/06/salesforce1selfie.html