function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
hy.lim1.3897974166558203E12hy.lim1.3897974166558203E12 

how community user update their additional info in contact field?

Hi, I have community enanbled in my org. As you all know, once someone registered as a community user, Salesforce will create a Contact for it. Now I would like this community user to update certain fields in Contact.

I understand that it can be achieve by creating a visual force page then pull out the contact field so that the community user is able to update from there.

Now the problem is, we have restricted community users on Contact object, they have no 'Read' permission on Contact so certainly my visualforce page will show blank.

The reason why I want to restrict community user is because in our community site we also have the global search function, if I do not restrict community user on Contact object, the global search will return contact as well which is not comply to our security. We do not want each community user to see other's contact's profile. It's P&C.

So now i would like to know is there any way i can:

1) modify the global search function not to return contact results since it is a standard smart search
<iframe scrolling="yes" height="1000px" frameBorder="0" name="theIframe"  src="https://mycomp.force.com/search/SmartSearch?str={!$CurrentPage.parameters.msg}" width="1020px"></iframe>

2) a way for community user to update contact's field without 'Read' permission on Contact.

Thanks
MJ Kahn / OpFocusMJ Kahn / OpFocus
In the regular Search results page, if you click Options and then select "Limit to items I own," it adds this parameter (searchOwner=1) to the URL. You might tr adding that to your URL and see whether it will limit the results to only those records owned by the current user - that might get you closer to what you want.

As for editing the User's Contact record, you might have the user edit his own User record, then use a trigger to copy the values from User to Contact.