function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mike OtterMike Otter 

Transition from VF/Apex to a public website - when/how?

I'm currently developing an app, writing pages in Apex and VF.  When I get it working, it's going to look like a SalesForce app because I have not added or tweaked any styles.  Until I'm better with Apex, I've tabled any thought of customizing the look of these pages.  Once I have it working, how do I make the transition to a website that the world can see/use?

I've read somewhere that the stylesheet for SF is somewhere that I can copy/edit.  Do I take that, change what I want, and, presto, I'm done?  Or do I have to attach stylesheets to every Apex/VF page I have, point it to my own template, and publish it?

I am hoping that, when I get this app going, I'll have named fields on each page.  Each field will have a default style (from my stylesheet), I will add images/text to the background/template, and that's all I have to change.

Ideas?  Thoughts?  Directions on what to study?

Thanks.

Mike
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
I would look to use your own CSS in a Force.com site.

I wrote a series of blog posts on building a templated site using Apex/Visualforce and OpenCSS that may be of use.  They are available at:

http://bobbuzzard.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/building-templated-web-site-with.html

This is a link to part 4, so you won't want to start there, but it does contain links to Parts 1 through 3.
Mike OtterMike Otter
@bob_buzzard, thanks for the feedback and link.  We have a sandbox webpage that another contractor built (which we won't be using).  I don't know how they created it but, since the functionality/look isn't what was requested, I get to learn Apex and start over.  Whoohoo!  :)

I looked at part 4 and it looks like all pages will be useful.  When I have more time or the app approaches completion, I'll be using it as a guide.  Thanks.