function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sam Hummel 4Sam Hummel 4 

What's the difference between "customer community login" user licenses and "customer community" user licenses?

I've looked all through the Salesforce documentation but am not finding an explanation anywhere for the difference between these two user licenses.  I'm sure it must be documented somewhere but I'm not finding it.  I would appreciate your help with the answer.  Thanks!
Best Answer chosen by Sam Hummel 4
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
Customer community licenses are name based - each user that can access the community must have an active license associated with their username.  So if you have 50,000 users you need 50,000 licenses, each of which incurs a cost.

Customer community login licenses allow a set number of logins per month.  Thus you can have 50,000 users, but if only a subset of those will login each month you don't need to pay for a license for each of them.  Instead, you purchase a number of logins (e.g. 5,000) and pay for those.

You'd use login based licenses for consumer communities where you expect a large number of users but infrequent access.

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
Customer community licenses are name based - each user that can access the community must have an active license associated with their username.  So if you have 50,000 users you need 50,000 licenses, each of which incurs a cost.

Customer community login licenses allow a set number of logins per month.  Thus you can have 50,000 users, but if only a subset of those will login each month you don't need to pay for a license for each of them.  Instead, you purchase a number of logins (e.g. 5,000) and pay for those.

You'd use login based licenses for consumer communities where you expect a large number of users but infrequent access.
This was selected as the best answer
Sam Hummel 4Sam Hummel 4
Thank you so much, Bob, for stating that so clearly for me.  After I was pointed to this blog article (https://developer.salesforce.com/blogs/developer-relations/2014/02/salesforce-communities-licenses.html), I had a hunch that "customer community login" was a naming convention for the login-based users, but it doesn't actually state that anywhere.  So, thank you for  confirming that for me.
Kapil DuaKapil Dua
Hey Bob, thanks for explaination, do you know how is API limit calculated in case of login based licenses ? 
Is it collective limit of (200 multiplied by number of licences) ? 
KGalantKGalant
Please check out this in the help pages (https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=users_license_types_communities.htm&type=0) - it explains the calculation of licenses provisioned vs. logins purchased.
Gary RalstonGary Ralston
Hi Sam,

In Salesforce, Customer Community Login user licenses and Customer Community user licenses are two different types of licenses with different levels of access and capabilities.

A Customer Community Login user license allows a user to log in to a customer community, access and interact with its features and functionality, and view their own data and records. However, they do not have access to create or edit records, and their access is limited to the specific community they are a member of.
On the other hand, a Customer Community user license provides all the features and capabilities of a "Customer Community Login" user license, as well as the ability to create, edit and delete records in the community. They can also access multiple communities and switch between them.
In summary, the main difference between "Customer Community Login" and "Customer Community" user licenses is the level of access and control over records and data within the community.

To learn more about Customer Community in Salesforce, check out the article https://arrify.com/customer-community-salesforce/. This comprehensive guide covers everything you need to know about Customer Community, from its benefits and features to best practices for implementation.​
henry smith 2henry smith 2
i appreciate your hard work you spend on writing this unique information. i'm going to share your this hard work on my blog Connections unlimited (https://connections-unlimited.org/)