function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
raj kiranraj kiran 

More information on permission sets

Hi All,

I am learning salesforce from a month time now, i am  not so clear with permission sets.
As i had gone through some documents on web i got the information that permission sets  are used  giving some additional permission like acess to fields rather than changing profiles all the time.

My first question is, are the permission sets only used for granting acess to fields that profiles restrict them not to ? is this the only use? are they any more useful cases where we can use the permission sets?

On the other side, i tried to grant "edit " functionality on a custom object in recruting application using permissin sets to a profle where it has only read and creat . however the granted permission was not working as the profile  restricted  them to read and create. so this leaves me to conclude that profile settings cannot be superced by permision sets . Am i correct here ?

Please let me if i in right direction.

Thanks for your inputs.
Regards,
Raj
Best Answer chosen by raj kiran
sunny522sunny522
Hi Kiran,
        In order to understand permission sets clearly you need to understand all related concepts in salesforce.Go through the below link 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItDrTdmu11A&index=1&list=PL6747B4DAE356E17C .
In this go through the nine videos in a line,you will understand everything.

if this provides you with useful information and if this is what you where looking for then please mark it as a solution for other benefits.

All Answers

sunny522sunny522
Hi Kiran,
        In order to understand permission sets clearly you need to understand all related concepts in salesforce.Go through the below link 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItDrTdmu11A&index=1&list=PL6747B4DAE356E17C .
In this go through the nine videos in a line,you will understand everything.

if this provides you with useful information and if this is what you where looking for then please mark it as a solution for other benefits.

This was selected as the best answer
raj kiranraj kiran
Sunny,

Thank you for the videos. it was quite informative and helped me to solve my query.
Through permisson sets i was able to overide the default object permission for my custom object(Read and create permission only) and was able to assig edit and delete permision as well. 

Regards,
Raj