function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Vijeyakumar RamkumarVijeyakumar Ramkumar 

Data Loader - How safe is the encrypted password?

Hi all,

I was wondering how safe the encrypted password (that goes in the process-conf file) is?
Is there a way you guys know of to further protect it or increase the security. I am basically looking at the risk factor associated with laying out a password (albeit encrypted) in a txt file.

Your inputs/suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher
No encryption is 100% safe - if high security is paramount to your organization I would pursue a different loading method, perhaps DBAmp or another integration partner (Jitterbit maybe?)
Vijeyakumar RamkumarVijeyakumar Ramkumar
Thanks Andy.

How good are the file encryption tools to encrypt the data loader job folder or the Process-Conf.xml file??
Windows has an inbuilt one called the EFS and there are also a lot of other encryption tools available.
Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher
Any encryption tool is only as good as the system it's installed on and the processes/procedures to keep it safe.  If you use Windows EFS on a server file system but leave the system logged in and unattended - encryption doesn't matter.

If you're trying to safeguard the folder against people just stumbling across it, you're going to need to investigate a multi-faceted solution including file directory access, secured operating environments, and file encryption.