function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
steve giovincosteve giovinco 

Import from Maximizer; Custom Field Creation Populated from Import

Hi,

As a complete new user, I've a few basic, I think, questions regarding importing data from Maximizer, which I've exported to an CSV file.

I only need to create three new Contact fields:
Priorty (1=Very Interested; 2=Moderate Interest, etc.)
Contact Type (Art Gallery, Photo Gallery, and about 20 others)
Coorespondence (Email Blast 2014, Postcard Mailed 2013, etc.)

I think I understand how to create the fields in Build>Contacts>Fields but I dont know how to have the  fields populated with items imported from Maximizer, rather than add them manually.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks, Steve

Best Answer chosen by steve giovinco
ShashForceShashForce
Hi,

If the values are a fixed list, you should create a "Picklist" type custom field and manually populate the picklist values.

If the values are not fixed, you can create a "Text" custom field which can have any imported value.

Once this is done, you can import the data into salesforce using data loader or import wizard.

If this answers your question, please mark this as the Best Answer for this post, so that others can benefit from this post.

Thanks,
Shashank

All Answers

ShashForceShashForce
Hi,

If the values are a fixed list, you should create a "Picklist" type custom field and manually populate the picklist values.

If the values are not fixed, you can create a "Text" custom field which can have any imported value.

Once this is done, you can import the data into salesforce using data loader or import wizard.

If this answers your question, please mark this as the Best Answer for this post, so that others can benefit from this post.

Thanks,
Shashank
This was selected as the best answer
Hi Shashank,

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I did the import and see items populated in the pulldown fields.  

However, the specific pulldown menu item for that Contact is not selected.

How can I do the import and have the correct item assigned in the pulldown field?  

Thanks!  Steve
ShashForceShashForce
Sorry I didn't understand completely. Could you please elaborate? May be with screenshots if possible?
Sorry if I am not being clear.

I need to import about 4,000 contacts that have two specific fields:
  • "Priority" or an indication of how important the lead or contact is.  There are five options.
  • "Contact Type" or industry--basically the area the contact falls into, ranging from about twenty options, including, Art Business, Art Gallery, Grant, etc.
  1. How can I import the correct Priority and Contact Type option for each Contact?  I can not go through each Contact and manually assign them, since this would take days or weeks (!).
  2. Is there an already existing field that I can use or do I need to create a custom one for Contacts?  For example, I see Rating of Industry in the Account fields, but I'm not sure how to map the information to them after the import.

f
Here is a screen shot showing the Contact Type field and options.  Notice that the import brought in the correct options.  However, it has not "choosen" or selected any for this contact.  How can I make that happen during the import?

User-added image 

Here is a screen shot of the custom fields I created.

Any thoughts or tips are welcome!  Thanks, Steve

ShashForceShashForce
When you exported from Maximizer, is there no information in these 2 fields in the exported csv data? If so, the data should be populated in the csv itself, and then imported. If it is already populated, you can just import it using the data loader or import wizard.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly again.

Yes: the data is populated in the csv, and is imported using the import wizard.

Here's the problem:
The specific Category or Contact Type field option for that contact is not SELECTED or assigned in SalesForce.

How can I bring that over?

For example, in Maximizer a contact might look like:
FirstName: John
LastName: Doe
Company: Acme
Address1: 123 Main Street
City: Anytown
Category: 1 Very Interested
Contact Type: Art Gallery

However, in SalesForce the Category and Contact Type are empty:
FirstName: John
LastName: Doe
Company: Acme
Address1: 123 Main Street
City: Anytown
Category
Contact Type

Although the information was imported, the item or option was not assigned in the contacts--I need that to avoid manually going through four thousand contacts and assigning the pulldown menu option myself.

Thanks!  Best, Steve
ShashForceShashForce
Hi Steve,

I see that you created the fields in Salesforce as Multi-select picklist fields. We should use them only when a record can have more than one selections, something like the Category can be both "1 very interested" and "2 moderate interest" for the same record. Else, a regular Picklist would suffice. Please try changing the field gto a regular picklist and check if you are still unable to populate the fields properly.

If the records are already populated and you just need to update them, just get a list of their IDs and do an update using the Data loader.

Thanks,
Shashank

Hi Shashank,

Thanks for the response.  For the Category field, I changed it to single Picklist.  

However, when I tried to import, nothing came in.  What am I doing wrong?

For the Contact Type field, there are mutlple items, i.e., there could be two or more selections ("Art Gallery," "Photo Gallery," etc.); this is set as a Muli-select list.

Nothing is populated as well.  

Why?

Do I need to create a new field with the all the items/options, i.e., "Art Gallery," "Photo Gallery," for Contact Type first and then import?

Also, how can I do a bulk delete for the Contacts, so I can start from scratch?

Thanks again for your help!  Steve

Hi Shashank,

Never mind!  I didnt realize that I needed to open Contacts in a new window to see the results: just refreshing the page and list didnt work.

I see how to do bulk deletes and changes.

Two additional basic questions:
  1. How do I view Tasks and Events at one glance for the day or week?
  2. How can I create two separate Contact/Account lists, using one account?
Thanks again for all your help!  Best, Steve
Hi Shashank,

Sorry, I answered my own questions.

One additional question: the Contact Type custom field has multiple items ("Art Gallery, "Photo Gallery," etc.) for some contacts.  

How can those be imported, please?  

I tried changing the field type to Multi-pulldown, but it is not imported.

Thanks so much!  Steve
I see an error message when attempting to import:
"Status: 2 values: data value too large: C Few Known and Emerging,4 Slightly , More Emerging, but Good/Interesting,5
Status: 7 values: picklist value is not active: 1 Interested, 2 Possible Interest, 3 Worth Pursuing, 5 Less Worth Pursuing, 7 Not Mailing, C Few Known and Emerging,4 Slightly ..., More Emerging, but Good/Interesting,5 ..."

Thanks, Steve
I think I've got it: for fields with more than one item, separate them with semicolon.

Thanks! Steve
Oleksandra Oleksandra 4Oleksandra Oleksandra 4
Hello,
I'm sure that you have already migrated the desired data from Maximizer.
However, I want to leave here some suggestion for the users that struggle the similar issue right now.

For the complete data transfer from Maximizer to any Salesforce edition with no loss of the connections between records, use Data2CRM migration service.
Its technicians will move any chosen modules (including custom fields) as fast as possible. So while they are running the migration, you will have much free time to take care of other business aspects.

Take a look at Data2CRM on AppExchange
https://appexchange.salesforce.com/appxListingDetail?listingId=a0N3A00000EjVSuUAN

Otherwise, schedule a call with Data2CRM experts
https://app.hubspot.com/meetings/am-data2crm

Hope, my advice is helpful 
Regards