function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
steve giovincosteve giovinco 

Custom Field Not Sorting; Sort Multiple Picklist Fields?

Hi, First, I created a custom field (by importing a picklist from Maximizer, callsed "Status") and added it to the Layout, which displays correctly.

However, it doesnt seem to be sortable.  I click on the header called "Status" and nothing happens--is it not highlighted on mouse over and it cannot be clicked on like the other fields. 

How can this be sortable, please?

Second, on another custom field import, this time for a multiple picklist, where a Contact can have more than one items selected, everything came over as expected.  

However, I'm not sure how to sort for it.

Its is possible to create a multiple checkbox where several items can be selected at once?  If so, how can these be displayed in List View, if at all?

Or, is the only alternative to create different Views, each representing the picklist item.  

Are there other alternatives to display and sort for Contacts fields that have more than one picks?

Thanks in advance!  Best, Steve

However, I'm not sure how to sort

Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher
Steve,

I'm not clear what you are trying to do - are you importing data from another system?  Integrating an external application to Salesforce?  Trying to make a Visualforce page with custom controls?
Hi Andy,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Importing from Maximizer.  

Best, Steve
What are you using to import the data?

To properly sort the values in a picklist, you need to first add all of the available values to the picklist field in Salesforce, then there is a "Reorder" button in the field setup where you can sort those values.

The MVPL is the same deal - add those values to the field itself and you can order them.
Hi Andy,

I'm using the Salesforce Import Wizard from a .csv file.  

As I mentioned, the files import correctly.

1. Why is the custom field not sortable?
2. Can multiple check boxes be used, if so, how are they selected in a View?

So, just to be clear, I should first add the values to the picklist field to address these issues?

Thanks for your help!  Best, Steve
If I'm understanding your question correctly - yes, to get the values within a picklist to be sortable, you have to manually add the master values to the picklist field and sort them through there.

You can have multiple checkboxes in any object, but there is not a field type that generates an array of checkboxes to fill a single field.  Each checkbox would be a seperate field.
Hi Andy,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I must be doing something wrong: I added new master picklist options and also created a new test field, also with new master picklist options, but dont see the field sortable in Contacts View.

Any other thoughts?  Thanks, Steve
Are you talking about the Contact List View?  I think I'm not understanding what you mean by "field sortable in Contacts View"?
Hi Andy,

It seems that multi-picklists are not sortable.  Does that seem correct to you?  Single picklist is sortable.

Thanks, Steve
Yes, Contact List View.  Thanks, Steve
I did just come across this idea on the Success Community:  https://success.salesforce.com/ideaView?id=08730000000YPpWAAW (don't know if that is what you're looking for)

The values within the field definition itself (not what you choose when creating a record) is definitely sortable though.
Thank you so much for trying to lend a hand.  This confirms that multi-picklist flelds are not sortable in Contact List View.

Best, Steve
No worries Steve - glad we found an answer...abeit not an optimal one.  :(
Yup!  Thanks again.  Steve