function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ajay SatishAjay Satish 

INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_ON_CROSS_REFERENCE_ENTITY while re-assigning the Approver to himself

Consider: we have request which is in Approval process and waiting for the Approval from Approver1. 

Now if Approver1 is absent, a new Approver (Approver2) should be able to re-assign the Approval ability to himself and should approve it.  But When Approver2 tried to update the ProcessInstanceWorkItem object to re-assign the Approval ability to himself (designed with a help of customisation), receiving an error as follows: 
“INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_ON_CROSS_REFERENCE_ENTITY, insufficient access rights on cross-reference id: []”

Please help me to resolve this issue.
James LoghryJames Loghry
Do Approver1 and Approver2 have different profiles in this case?

Check that Approver 2 has the proper Field Level Security for whatever object he/she is approving.

Additionally, if that doesn't work, check that the user has record visibility (Org Wide Defaults / Sharing settings) to any parent relationships of that record / object.
Ajay SatishAjay Satish
Hi James, Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, Approver1 and Approver2 have the same profile and they are in the same level in ROLE hierarchy as well.

I am trying to update the ProcessInstanceWorkItem object where Approver2 has a access, but Approver2 doestn't have an access to the record which Approver1 is owning.

In addition to the above, yes, Approver2 has record visibility, but coundn't re-assign the approver to himself.

Again Thanks for your time on this.
Sowjanya Bitra 9Sowjanya Bitra 9
Hi Ajay,
Did u find the solution for this, as i am also facing the same problem.Updating the processinstanceworkitem , but receiving “INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_ON_CROSS_REFERENCE_ENTITY, insufficient access rights on cross-reference id: []”