function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Keith RichmondKeith Richmond 

Question About SOAP API, REST API, BULK API

In order for Tableau to connect to Salesforce data, all of the following must be enabled on both your company's account and your user profile. Where and how do I do all of these?

- SOAP API for logging on.

- REST API for getting meta data.

- BULK API for downloading objects.

- REST API for downloading objects that the BULK API does not support.

- Replication SOAP APIs for retrieving changes in the data.
Best Answer chosen by Keith Richmond
Deepak RamaDeepak Rama
Are you using Professional Edition? if so, profiles are not enabled.

All Answers

Deepak RamaDeepak Rama
Login using System Administrator profile.
Goto Setup -> Manage Users -> Profiles.
Select the profile which is used by Salesforce User connecting to Tableau
Click on Edit -> System Permissions
Check API Enabled.

I don't see an option to manage user profiles using the steps outlined in your message. Is there something I am missing?

User-added image
Deepak RamaDeepak Rama
Are you the System Administrator for this org?
Yes I am. Are there any check boxes in the user configuration screen that I need to have checked / unchecked to enable me to see the stuff you mention above?

User-added image
Deepak RamaDeepak Rama
Keith - This is what I am able to seeing on a new dev org:
User-added image

What do you mean by a new dev org? Do I need to get setup with that first? If so, how do I go about doing that?
Deepak RamaDeepak Rama
Are you using Professional Edition? if so, profiles are not enabled.
This was selected as the best answer
Deepak RamaDeepak Rama
Also on Tableau help page it is mentioned that:
(ref: http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/v8.1/pro/online/en-us/examples_salesforce.html)
Some editions of Salesforce may not allow API access at all. Contact your Salesforce administrator to verify that your account has access to the above list of APIs.
Yes, I am using professional edition. Darn it. I hate the fact that Salesforce limits everything.
Deepak RamaDeepak Rama
Dev org is the org provided by salesforce for free (that you can sign up and use for 30 days)
Deepak RamaDeepak Rama
Keith - could you close this thread and rate the answers that I have given you.

Thanks
Dariusz ZdziebkowskiDariusz Zdziebkowski
I am a new Tableau customer (using a Trail version of Tableau 8.2 Professional) and I am having the exact same error pop up when I try to connect to Salesforce. We have an Enterprise version of Luminate CRM, so we should have access to the necessary APIs (according to the article in this post). When I log in to Salesforce as a system administrator I can see that the "API enabled" box is checked for both the System Administrator and CRM API User Profile. What I can't see is any way to enable the 5 specific APIs that are listed in the Tableau error message at the top of this post. Any ideas on how I might solve this problem so that I can connect to Luminate CRM using the Salesforce connection in Tableau?