function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sarah AcostaSarah Acosta 

Copying from one org to another using Eclipse and Force IDE

I am new to Eclipse and am trying to copy one Orgs metadata into another Org (both production Orgs). I have extracted the metadata from the first Org but I am having trouble finding steps on how to deploy it to the new Org. I've downloaded ANT but even that is a little confusing for this non-developer. Can anyone provide some guidance?
textualtextual
you can probably copy and paste the meta data you want to transfer into the same directory as your new org, refresh your eclipse project to show the files, then save to server. If you have both projects in eclipse, you could just use the deploy to server feature and enter the credentials for your target org. 
Sarah AcostaSarah Acosta
Thank you for the quick response! I have the current orgs meta data in a project in eclipse and I want to deploy that to the new org. I am very hesitant to select deploy to server for fear of refreshing the current org as I do not want to touch that org. Are you saying I can simply select deply to server and I will be prompted to enter the new orgs credentials?

I find it strange that there is so much material out for there for the Ant migration tool if using Force IDE is as easy as extracting one entire org and deploying it to another...am I missing something?
textualtextual
you can use to deploy to server from your source project and it will promt you for your target orgs credentials

ant does a similar thing, where its used to first retrieve from a source org, store locally, then deploy to a target org
we use it here for deployments but rather than grab every class / obj / etc, we only get the files that have changed
honestly im not sure if were gaining anything by using ant, but its the process they like

Sameer PrasonnSameer Prasonn
Hi,

use Apache Ant to check the dependancy for the object and fields as well.  here i have a links to configure apache ant

for retrival :
http://salesforce-stuff.blogspot.in/2011/10/using-ant-to-retrieve-metadata-of.html

for Deployment
http://jagannathvalaiyapathy.blogspot.com/2013/02/deploying-salesforcecom-metadata-using.html

Let me know