function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Janis DavisJanis Davis 

PKB Article Field Visibility Issues

I set up our PKB and it all seems fine, except that when a user clicks on the test article that has fields populated, none of the content populated article fields are visible. The PKB implementation guide gives the following instructions for setting the field level security for PKB users, however I'm not seeing the settings they reference in the documentation in SF.

PKB IMPLEMENTATION GUIDE INSTRUCTIONS
7. Set field-level security for all fields on each of your article types. For each article type:
a. In the Field-Level Security section, click View next to the object that contains the fields to modify. Fields on
article types are under the article type name in Custom Field-Level Security.
b. Click Edit.
c. Set the field-level security.
d. Click Save.
e. Click Back to Profile.

When I go to an article type, I'm not seeing a Field-Level Security section or a View link next to the object that contains the fields to modify. I'm also not seeing Fields on article types under the article type name or Custom Field-Level Security. The only FIeld-Level security settings I can make on articles is on the individual field level and their is no option to set security for the guest user PKB Profile. Am I missing something in our configuration again from an upgrade that needs to be enabled by SF?

I logged a case with SF support, however I was told they don't provide developer support to customers with basic support and directed me to this site for help on this. I've set up PKB for other customers and have never encountered this issue before.

Any help or advice will be  most appreciated!
Best Answer chosen by Janis Davis
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
That looks like the FLS needs to be set up for the site guest user.  A PKB is made available through a force.com site, which has a profile associated with it.  if that profile doesn't have access to the fields then nothing will be displayed.  If you go to Setup -> Develop -> Sites, then choose your the site that hosts your PKB.  Click the 'Public Access Settings' button on the resulting page, that will take you to the guest profile.  Scroll down to the 'Custom Field-Level Security' section, locate your article type and click the 'View' link.  Click the Edit button on the resulting page and you can give visibility of the fields to the site.

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
Have you published the article to the pkb channel - when you edit the article, on the right hand side is the metadata (article assignment, properties etc).  At the bottom of the article properties there is a checkbox of 'Public Knowledge Base' - you need to check that before the article will be visible. 
Janis DavisJanis Davis
Hi Bob,

Yes, I published a Test Article in the PKB that contains content, however when I open the article, none of the content is visible. See screen shots below.

User-added image
User-added image
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
That looks like the FLS needs to be set up for the site guest user.  A PKB is made available through a force.com site, which has a profile associated with it.  if that profile doesn't have access to the fields then nothing will be displayed.  If you go to Setup -> Develop -> Sites, then choose your the site that hosts your PKB.  Click the 'Public Access Settings' button on the resulting page, that will take you to the guest profile.  Scroll down to the 'Custom Field-Level Security' section, locate your article type and click the 'View' link.  Click the Edit button on the resulting page and you can give visibility of the fields to the site.
This was selected as the best answer
Janis DavisJanis Davis
Hi Bob, 

Thanks so much for your help on this!!!! I was looking for that setting in Edit vs. non Edit most on the Profile and I found it now. Thanks again!!!!