function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Charlotte GibsonCharlotte Gibson 

Wierdness when deploying vForce page from Eclipse.

Has anyone seen this before? I went to deploy ONE visualforce page from Eclipse, and now it's deploying four components... out of THREE.

Also, the tests are taking forever - they've been running for almost an hour now, when they usually take 10 mins or so. I'm not panicing or anything, but just thought it was odd so decided to share, and see if anyone else has experienced something similar?

Mutant deployment
Best Answer chosen by Charlotte Gibson
srlawr uksrlawr uk
haha! We call the thing on the left the deployment fish... and you have a particulally skinny one. There are definitly some reported weirdnesses about the deployment progress page these days, I made a release of 51 components earlier this week, and when the left wheel was complete it said 73 / 51 - which was impressive, and produced a very fat green fish shape. It's just a bug in the display I think though, no deployments have been adversly affected by it in my experience.

Regarding the time taken, deployments can take varying times, but this seeems like a very slow one. Once the replication architecture went "wrong" and change sets were taking hours to deploy, but I haven't heard any thing (on twitter) etc today suggesting other people are experiencing slow tests/deploys. are the tests creeping up at all? or has it "frozen"? It might be worth trying to just run all tests through the test page and see how long they take, or if any are suddenly randomly failing.

Other than that, retrying the deployment probably(!) won't hurt, if it's exactly the same, if this one finally suddenly catches up, all it will do is write the same changes again.

All Answers

srlawr uksrlawr uk
haha! We call the thing on the left the deployment fish... and you have a particulally skinny one. There are definitly some reported weirdnesses about the deployment progress page these days, I made a release of 51 components earlier this week, and when the left wheel was complete it said 73 / 51 - which was impressive, and produced a very fat green fish shape. It's just a bug in the display I think though, no deployments have been adversly affected by it in my experience.

Regarding the time taken, deployments can take varying times, but this seeems like a very slow one. Once the replication architecture went "wrong" and change sets were taking hours to deploy, but I haven't heard any thing (on twitter) etc today suggesting other people are experiencing slow tests/deploys. are the tests creeping up at all? or has it "frozen"? It might be worth trying to just run all tests through the test page and see how long they take, or if any are suddenly randomly failing.

Other than that, retrying the deployment probably(!) won't hurt, if it's exactly the same, if this one finally suddenly catches up, all it will do is write the same changes again.
This was selected as the best answer
Deployment fish - I like it!

I ended up cancelling the deployment after it had run for a full hour and was only half way through - it was creeping slooooowly through the tests, but I'm too impatient for that kind of bovine-excrement.

Then I went back and redeployed from Eclipse, and it took the normal 7-8 mins - no fish this time, but 2/2 components. The VF page is acting as expected in production now. I've just had a phone call from a power user to say that they got "chucked out" while they were in the middle of editing a template, so I'm wondering if our server or instance had a mini brain-fart or something.

I'll keep an eye on things and report it to Support if it continues. Thanks for the reply! :)
srlawr uksrlawr uk
Glad you sorted it! The only real downside to developing in the cloud is that we do have to accept that hardware brain-farts are totally out of our control.

Remember, you can always check http://trust.salesforce.com/trust/status/ for such things, there has been a reported gush of air on EU1 if that is your instance.. because on of the upsides of developing on the cloud is sometimes we can just blame the hardware provider and say it's completey out of our control :D
Interesting - trust.salesforce.com was the first place I checked, but there was no status update on there at the time - I must have jumped the gun. But we ARE on EU1, so that must have been the issue. I wish that some of the other tech companies I've worked with were as proactive in fixing performance issues as SF are. :)